Question: New to Newts!

JotaPx

Reaction score
Country
Portugal
Hello!

I live in Portugal and i usualy find newts roaming around on my backyard..

This time i found one that i may be inclined to keep, its this litle fellow (I think is a Triturus pygmaeus)

14810583_foto0040.jpg

clik here if it doesnt show
(bad lighting and substitute phone)

I am having trouble with the feeding! What and how you recomend?

Me and my new mate THANK YOU!

Neither link works. Try uploading directly to the site using the "manage attachments" button.

Regardless of the species, every single native newt and salamander is protected in Portugal and Spain so it is illegal to catch them and if caught, the fines are quite high.
I strongly recommend that you put that animal back where it belongs. It´s not just an illegal activity, it´s also unethical given the declining nature of iberian caudate populations. Taking reproductive adults from their populations is not going to help.
If you like these animals (and why would you not, they are amazing) i´m sure you want to protect their wild populations rather than interfere with them. You can acquire captive bred animals of many fascinating species, legally and safely. If you want to keep newts that´s your only legal and ethical, but also by far the best, choice.
I hope you do the right thing.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back