Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Planting Substrate?

Olivia97

Reaction score
Does anyone know any safe planting substrates that i can buy in aus that are safe for axies and preferably not 100s of dollars? I am planting in terracotta pots then covering with a layer of sand then a layer of fly screen wire and another layer of sand.
Thanks,
Olivia

Neik0s

Reaction score
I have this problem also! I think to use the JBL Manando substrate and cover it with extra fine sand ! This could be the solution ? Or the sand with the passage of time goes by the substrate?

minxytota

Reaction score
I'm new to axies but not to planted tanks.
Most aquatic plants honestly do fine in just sand and don't need soil.
I've found the cheapest way is to make your own planting substrate. I do one part clay type soil (normally just found in a clean, pesticide free area), one part sandy soil, and one part vermiculite, which can be found anywhere for cheap that sells gardening stuffs). The clay has natural fertilizer built in which doesn't break down and gummy up the tank as quickly as say peat moss. The vermiculite keeps everything from compacting and sand balances everything out and keeps most aquatic plants happy. Get the whole dirt mixture damp and then add a layer of whatever sand you normally use as your substrate on top. To keep the dirty mess on the bottom make sure you add your water slowly enough or have it dispersed enough when you pour it in that the top layer of sand isn't broken through and the dirt stirred up into the tank. If you're worried that your dirt mixture will throw off your PH and what not you can soak it for a couple days and do a test. I normally cycled my tanks with a couple guppies and assumed the PH was fine if the guppies survived, I've never lost a fish because of a bad mix of planting substrate. Also most areas (in the US) will have soil content, PH and chemical analysis available through a local agriculture study. Check with libraries, colleges and the internet for an interesting read on soil break downs in your area.

^Sorry if a little bit of a rant, I've been doing planted tanks for almost ten years now.

Neik0s

Reaction score
So, if i had understan. I take 3 different tipe of substrate. Clay, vermiculite and fine sand. i mix them, and after i put them in my tank. After this i cover the mixed substrate with a thick veil of fine sand ( that is the substrate that axolotl prefeer) . Right ? In in what quantity should I mix the substrates?

minxytota

Reaction score
So, if i had understan. I take 3 different tipe of substrate. Clay, vermiculite and fine sand. i mix them, and after i put them in my tank. After this i cover the mixed substrate with a thick veil of fine sand ( that is the substrate that axolotl prefeer) . Right ? In in what quantity should I mix the substrates?

I add enough vermiculite to the clay to make the clay kind of glitter, probably about 1/3 the amount of clay and then enough sand to make the whole mixture the constancy of cake batter when mixed with water. The sand in the substrate mix doesn't have to be fine sand, just a kind of sandy soil though I have used play sand when I thought the sand I could find locally was iffy. It's not an exact science with any of it. You need more sand than clay and more clay than vermiculite and then yeah you just add an inch or so of your substrate sand on top to make it Axolotl happy and keep the soil out of your water.

This was my favorite guide I found when researching planted tanks. The substrate section is what I based all my future substrates on until I got lazy and switched to a straight sand substrate and low need plants.
http://www.thekrib.com/Plants/kelly-intro.html

Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1