What sand do people recommend?

axle23

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi! I was just wondering is there any specific types of sand for the bottom of my axles tank? Is there some I should watch out for?

Thanks! :)

Don't buy "Tahitian moon sand" beach sand "sandblasting sand" or "paving sand" but play sand, crazy sand, pool filter sand are all great :)

Hi,

I have 'play sand', I thoroughly washed it first. Figure if it's good enough for babies it's good enough for my two darlings :D plus it's a fraction of the price of aquarium sand ;)

I started out with a pack of freshwater sand. I got it at my local petshop. It was "golden" something, and was a very nice quality. After I moved up to a 20 gal, I was able to get some play sand from a friend of mine.

I had to wash it, which took a while and was annoying, but it's still very nice and Godric seems to like it. The only thing is that there's some variation in the size of the sand particles, so you have to keep an eye out for anything the axie might try and eat, especially if you've trained them to eat pellets.

Because axies have a nature to swallow some sand I used a reptile sand washed it good at a pets at home shop and its full of calcium if eaten I highly recommend it

Hope this helps:happy:

Because axies have a nature to swallow some sand I used a reptile sand washed it good at a pets at home shop and its full of calcium if eaten I highly recommend it

Hope this helps:happy:

Not to butt in, but reptile sand is not a good idea. The calcium will mess with the water quality. I strongly urge you to change to a silica based sand (like play sand).

Calcium sand is actually pretty crappy for reptiles too....not that there is really a "good" sand for almost all reptiles people try and put in sand.....

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back