Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

This will probably sound very stupid.

layna

Reaction score
I would assume most. There may be the odd infertile ones, but how else would they reproduce if they didnt carry eggs?
Huh, never considered this haha :wacko:

oceanblue

Reaction score
Yes. Females are always carrying eggs.
Daft though it seems, This simple question is actually very difficult and far from stupid, you can even make an argument that female axolotls never contain any eggs!

If you take the definition of an egg as what scientists call an ovum, a cell that has undergone its last division which reduces the number of chromosomes to half the number in most cells, and is capable of being fertilised, then this usually happens after the "egg" is laid and despite the mating dance and apparent internal fertilisation this last division and then fertilisation occurs after the "eggs" are laid.

So despite common sense saying the axolotl is laying eggs it is laying unfertilised oocytes covered in sperm, the oocytes become an ovum briefly outside the axolotl and then if fertilised becomes an embryo!

Females do carry egg precursor cells, oocytes, in their ovaries from before hatching until they are very old. If adult and well fed they usually have "eggs" pretty nearly ready to lay if given the stimulus of mating. If kept on limited rations or conditions are otherwise unsuitable they may not have any near mature oocytes. Feeding them up brings them into fertile shape.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1