Help needed please

caritas

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I keep buying Daphina for my 3 Axolotl but they keep dying after a couple of days what am i doing wrong i even got the breeding set up but they died to

I must be missing something obvious they are in a tub and i give them special pellets that came with the breeding set up

What's your water quality like?

I think it is good I have been taking them out when dead and it looks clear the ones in another pot are fine

I think if your daphnia are dying it's likely a water quality issue. Is it possible for you to take a sample of your water to a local fish/pet shop and get them to test it for you? Its usually free or a very small fee. In the mean time a water change of about 30% should help lower levels of ammonia. (if there is any) Just a quick question is the tank which the daphnia are dying in cycled?

no its not cycled when I got the setup it just said put in tap water that had settled for a day add 1 special Pellet a week

That could explain why the ones with the Axolotl are still alive as they are in water that came from my fish tank

I will be glad when they can eat frozen food

Sorry I read it as they were dying once added to the axolotl tank/container. So the Daphnia are dying in their set up? Does your water contain any chloramines as these won't dissipate just by maturing. I'm not quite sure how Daphnia are cultured in this setup so I will leave that for an expert. Does it say you need to change the water at all?

Daphnia are really sensitive to water quality issues.

When I was culturing them, I used water from my established adult axie tank. I wouldn't use tap water ever with daphnia, as it's likely to kill them, especially if you're on city water.

Here's an extensive article on daphnia.

I have had daphnia die offs with shop bought ones as well, twice I bought twenty bags to seed an outside tank, it was full of aged water from other daphnia tanks ,after two days they were all dead. This happened twice, the problem may be the actual quality of the daphnia you bought. Check with your supplier for the day they get their supply and buy them then , bags of daphnia you buy are often full of dead and dying daphnia as they are not looked after.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back