Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

My female axy is not eating at all ....

BIGBODYBEAR

Reaction score
My one year old female axy hasnt voluntarily eaten , ive been force feeding her this past week because she is real slim but she mostly regurgitates her food & her gills have been reducing , i dont think she is morphing because her eyes havent bulged out or her tail hasnt rounded out , her other 2 tank mates which are both year old males are fine eating & healthy & i dont think its the water , they always readily eat , she just hasnt & wanted to eat anything , what can i do? she wont eat earthworms , wax worms , blood worms , guppies , nothing at all she wont snap at anything

sorry for the blurry pic but she wouldnt hold still but you can see her gills & how thin she is

Attachments

• axythin.jpg
    axythin.jpg
    170.6 KB · Views: 389

FX1C

Reaction score
What size tank are they in?
Have you had the 3 axies for the same amount of time? Has there been any new additions or changes in the tank?

I'm not sure why she's having issues - just trying to understand if she's been under stress :)

BIGBODYBEAR

Reaction score
they are in a 55 gallon tank , i got them all at the same time from the same breeder at 3 inches . no new additions to the tank, only fish in the tank are a couple of guppies & ghost shrimp , temperature is at 65 degrees fahrenheit which is 18 degrees celsius , no stress from what i seem always with her healthy color , gills arent foward , not floating & swims actively ,

she is small compared to her tank mates , she is about 6 inches with her two male tank mates being 8 inches , but i have never seen them nip at her , she is always around them doesnt get scared , , she seems normal but just doesnt want to eat ,

the males eat readily so i dont think its anything in the water

BIGBODYBEAR

Reaction score
my little one is pale including her gills which have reduced alot & she is extremely thin , wont eat anything at all , her tank mates are all healthy & eaters though , she still swims actively , but wont bite at anything at all , ive tried everything an axy can eat & nothing , i have still force feed her but she still regurgitates everything & i dont know what to do

heres a pic of her

i take my water to get tested every week at the local pet super market & everything checks out

Attachments

• IMG114.jpg
    IMG114.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 603
  • IMG115.jpg
    IMG115.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 252

xxianxx

Reaction score
my little one is pale including her gills which have reduced alot & she is extremely thin , wont eat anything at all , her tank mates are all healthy & eaters though , she still swims actively , but wont bite at anything at all , ive tried everything an axy can eat & nothing , i have still force feed her but she still regurgitates everything & i dont know what to do

heres a pic of her

i take my water to get tested every week at the local pet super market & everything checks out

She looks like she is deteriorating fast, usually this kind of problem is plain lack of care but you seem to be doing everything correctly. Has she been exposed to gravel/small rocks at any point ? If so she may be impacted, I can see you have a bare bottomed tank so its probably not that especially as you have had them from 3" and they have more than doubled in size. The only other option open to you is a vet , this forum is good for advice on fungus and impactions and thats pretty much it tbh, sometimes you need professional help.

BIGBODYBEAR

Reaction score
my axys have never seen gravel or any substrates , impaction i dont think so because unless legless crickets can cause it , i called a few vets & they dont specialize on axy's :( problem is that she wont bite anything , im going to keep force feeding her & maybe she can work up an appetite

xxianxx

Reaction score
i called a few vets & they dont specialize on axy's :( problem is that she wont bite anything , im going to keep force feeding her & maybe she can work up an appetite

I have had the same problem with finding experienced local phib vets, good luck.

FX1C

Reaction score
my axys have never seen gravel or any substrates , impaction i dont think so because unless legless crickets can cause it , i called a few vets & they dont specialize on axy's :( problem is that she wont bite anything , im going to keep force feeding her & maybe she can work up an appetite

Crickets are not good food for axolotls!

As mentioned on this site repeatedly - the BEST food for axolotls is earthworms! It's not difficult to get them / find them & they are ideal!

Are crickets the only thing you've been feeding? o_O

<3 >o_o< <3

BIGBODYBEAR

Reaction score
crickets are on occasion , they are mostly on blood worms , they wont eat earth worms or trout worms live , chopped , any way , they ate chopped earthworms when they were juvies but now they wont touch them

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Have you tried different types of earthworms? Or pellets?

Try getting ahold of some waxworms. Not sure where you are, but they're all over in the north, as ice fishers love them as bait.

BIGBODYBEAR

Reaction score
i just got home & found my little girl has passed on :(

may sugarbutt rest in peace

i just wished i knew what caused her illness :(

i want to thank you for all of your help & i hope i wont have to deal with this any time soon :(

Jen10s

Reaction score
Sorry to hear of your loss :(

Don't be hard on yourself, you did everything you possibly could to help.

FX1C

Reaction score
RIP Sugarbutt :(

It's a shame you didn't find these forums much earlier on - I wish we could've been more help :( sorry for your loss.

<3 >o_o< <3

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1