Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Feeding while fridging?

bridie

Reaction score
My axolotl recently developed an intense fungus all over her body, could have possibly swallowed a stone and was constantly floating (im assuming gas?) so is in the worst health possible and is super skinny! I've had her in the fridge for 2 days now and was doing salt baths but the local pet shop advised me of a liquid solution that kills the fungus. My question is, should I be feeding her while I am fridging her? I read somewhere that it can damage their system due to the slow metabolism but need to know if its okay because shes skin and bones! Please help me! :(

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
If you don't feed her then it's going to die, if it is skin and bones. I still feed my stuff while it's being fridged. You just don't have to feed it as much and as often as you normally would. I'll feed an adult axie once a week while in the fridge.

FX1C

Reaction score
Do you trust the local fish shops advice (they got you to spend $$$ there when salt is plentiful! A sale is a sale! Do they know enough about axies & do they care?) over the advice given on these forums & the care people have taken to share that information with fellow enthusiasts :)

Please ask on here about the liquid chemical you've bought (what is the name & strength advised?) before adding it to your axie.... You may have to dilute it more because axies are not fish.

Try feeding during fridging & please wait for advice on the fungicide .... Stick to the salt until you're definitely sure the chemical is ok for axies :)

I hope your axie gets better soon <3

bridie

Reaction score
Thank you so much, I have meat pellets or heart & liver frozen meat which one is best to feed her? The pet shop had sold out of aquarium salt (i was sick of grinding the sea salt) so I purchased 'Aqua Septic' by Aqua Master, the bottle says 'aids in reducing harmful organisms in freshwater and tropical freshwater aquariums and bowls' and the dosage is 5ml per 20L, so i put one drop into my axolotls tub in the fridge then put her in. Does this sound okay? :confused:

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I can't find any ingredient information on Aqua Septic, but from the description, it doesn't really sound like the type of thing that'll help with fungus.

bridie

Reaction score
okay so I'm going to stick to salt baths then, i noticed after putting the solution in nothing really happened, but when I was salt bathing her bits of fungus would float off her. tried feeding her with no luck, once the fungus has cleared is that when she will most likely take the food? i will keep offering it to her in the meantime, thank you all so much for your help and advise, i really appreciate it and Ollie does too!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!