Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

2 very sad stressed morphing axies at fish shop :(

FX1C

Reaction score
I was out feeding my addiction for aquarium shops & stopped in at one in the sydney area.

They had 3 axies in a tank & I was vomiting up scoria (volcanic type gravel) I saw he & another tank mate were gill less & looked as though they were morphing :( the girl at the shop didn't care at all & when the older man (owner??) turned up I pointed out to him that the gravel is unsuitable etc etc - he didn't care either! Grrrrrrr so frustrating!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352811752.237316.jpg

Am I right in thinking they are both morphing?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352811795.434022.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352811810.370547.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352811843.134050.jpg

A pic of the couple of bits of gravel the wild type vomited up :(

I know buying them would only perpetuate them being kept by crappy shops - but I just want to save them :(

jasper408

Reaction score
Judging by their attitudes, all they care about is profit. :mad: I feel for the poor axolotls, but I agree, buying them would only indicate to the store that it is a profitable venture... :(

2gsom

Reaction score
Oh poor babies, we are very lucky locally here we have some great pet store owners and aquarium shops who care for their axies really well. How sad for them they look so stressed. You could try pointing out how unwell they are and that they will imminently die and offer to take them free of charge and try to save them? worst they can say is no.

dvsgal

Reaction score
I once said to a pets paradise owner that Im not paying full price for an axolotl that is near death.

He let me have it for $2 because that's how much he pays for them.
However it died 3days later, it was beyond help but i wanted to try.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1