Sick Axolotl! Not sure whats wrong but need help fast.

blankminded

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Joey
I was out for work for 2 days and I come home to this! Not sure whats going on but I don't to lose this little guy. Anyone have any idea on to treat this?

Attachments

• DSC_5063.jpg
    DSC_5063.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 674
  • DSC_5067.jpg
    DSC_5067.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 516
Ooh, that certainly looks sore for the little guy! From the pictures it looks like a wound, to me. Does he have anything sharp or pointed in the tank he could have caught himself on or swam into? Or hides that could have rough edges, hidden sharp spots on its interior?

He's in a 36 gallon bow front tank with a sand bottom. Fully planted and the only hide that was in the tank was a PVC pipe I cut to fit. I didn't think there was any sharp edges but I could have been wrong. I didn't like the way it looked so I took it out before I went out of town.

There is a small golden algae eater, a small group of tiny edlers, a small group of ghost shrimp, and a couple black kuhli loaches. All of which help keep the tank clean and act as a food source.

Whatever the case it should heal up nicely on its own. It will be worth keeping the water cool and clean and looking out for any sore tissue and/or fungus if which were to occur, salt baths are your aid! I find it unlikely he'll need any though :happy:

I would strongly advise getting rid of all those fish except the endlers and the ghost shrimp. Algae eaters are mean and nasty fish and just get meaner as they age. The huge amount of waste they produce negates any small contribution to the tank. ALL those species are warm water fish. Your axolotl is a cold water animal. Fish damage axolotls gills and i would suspect your axolotl was attacked.

The first thing that came to my mind was whether there were any plecos in the tank. Apparently, there is one, and I believe that is the case as well. There are multiple horror stories about mixing algae eaters and newts within this forum, and I would highly recommend separating them.

Deffinately get rid of plec :( i too had ine in my tank n once i saw the things they did to axies he went straight away oh the trauma :( deffo looks like a plec wound .. Keep it in fresh clean cool water n it should heal as they are great healers :) good luck x

I do not have a Pleco in the tank. I made sure everything in the tank didn't have any spins/spikes and was non aggressive. I also made sure everything in there would be able to be eaten by the Axolotl with no ill effect.

The algae eater is a "Golden Algae Eater" This is not my picture. Its one I found on the internet.

Attachments

• Gyrinocheilus_aymonieri_2.jpg
    Gyrinocheilus_aymonieri_2.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 531
Would it be ok to add aquarium salt to the tank? Just to help the healing and help prevent bacteria/fungus from infecting his wounds?

Golden algae eaters are aggresive fish. http://aquariumlore.blogspot.com/2008/04/golden-algea-eater.html?m=1

There is no valid reason to keep fish with your axolotl. The excuse that they are feeders is a weak one. It seems you just want a mixed species tank. The point is you are not providing proper care for any of those animals. They are from different parts of the world and have different requirements than your axolotl.I have no doubt your axolotl will be attacked again.
http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/Mixing_disasters.shtml

I am not judging you, just trying to show you that future harm to your axolotl is preventable.

I am going to do a water change in the tank today and I will be taking out the loaches and the Algae eater. The 5 ghost shrimp and 5 (was 10) are feeders and should be gone within about a week.
My main concern is his wound healing and not getting infected.

Keep the water cool and clean and it will heal on its own. Axolotls are masters at healing. Feeding mostly earthworms will provide him with the nutrition to make a speedy recovery.

Sent from my M865C using Tapatalk 2

Went to do the water change and check on him and noticed its gotten worse. There is white stuff (fungus maybe) growing on his mouth and gills.

Attachments

• DSC_5073.jpg
    DSC_5073.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 553
Looks like a wound has become infected with fungus, check the appropriate threads for treatment.

I decided to give him a salt bath last night and place him in fridge just to be on the safe side. I just got home from and did a water change on him and he seems to be a little more alert. Im hoping he pulls through. I did a large water change on his tank and took out all the other animals. Im gonna let it run and do another water change before he goes back in.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back