Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

I'm such an idiot 0.0 near death axie experience :(

FX1C

Reaction score
Sharing an "I am such an idiot" story.

This morning I went to take my little axie tank to the kitchen to do the usual pooper scooping & 20% water change when the little tacker leapt from the tank managing to launch out the tiny gap in back of glass O.O he flew through the air & landed with a splat onto my freaky steam mopped tile floor (at least 5ft below!) :O I totally freaked out (nearly just dropped the whole tank!) I had so stiff plastic on the counter an slipped that underneath my little baby :( managed to get him into his tank within about 10 secs but his feathery gills were slicked down & he looked like a newt... I gently filled the turkey baster with tank water & flowed it over the feathers & they took a couple of minutes to stand up again :) he didn't like the flow of water but seemed to realise it was helping & started to fluff his feathers in the flow...

He's been on close watch (peeking every 10mins!) & seems to be back to his usual self.... I've seen him poop a couple of times already & stick his head in the worm pit for a piggy session of live black worms - so both ends seem to be working :D is there anything else I should look out for? I've never been in such a panic!!

I never imagined a 5-6cm axie could launch its sweet slimy self so far & I can't wait until my big tank is ready for the little tacker :) because with all that energy he's going to need some exercise room <3

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352872617.275887.jpg

A picture of the piggy :)

Oh & if he survives this experience & me learning on the go - I think his/her name shall be "Splat" ;)

FX1C

Reaction score
Sorry - spellcheck moment - duh

Not sure what a "freaky" steam mopped floor - I'm pretty sure I typed freshly ;)

FX1C

Reaction score
lol perhaps spellcheck knows my life better than me ;) freaky about sums it up!

All seems well with the little one so far... It's been about 7hrs since the incident & he seems back to his normal sweet slimy self - with fluffy feathery gills :D

The name Splat seems to suit him :p

<3 >o_o< <3

NeekaLovesYou

Reaction score
Sharing an "I am such an idiot" story.

This morning I went to take my little axie tank to the kitchen to do the usual pooper scooping & 20% water change when the little tacker leapt from the tank managing to launch out the tiny gap in back of glass O.O he flew through the air & landed with a splat onto my freaky steam mopped tile floor (at least 5ft below!) :O I totally freaked out (nearly just dropped the whole tank!) I had so stiff plastic on the counter an slipped that underneath my little baby :( managed to get him into his tank within about 10 secs but his feathery gills were slicked down & he looked like a newt... I gently filled the turkey baster with tank water & flowed it over the feathers & they took a couple of minutes to stand up again :) he didn't like the flow of water but seemed to realise it was helping & started to fluff his feathers in the flow...

He's been on close watch (peeking every 10mins!) & seems to be back to his usual self.... I've seen him poop a couple of times already & stick his head in the worm pit for a piggy session of live black worms - so both ends seem to be working :D is there anything else I should look out for? I've never been in such a panic!!

I never imagined a 5-6cm axie could launch its sweet slimy self so far & I can't wait until my big tank is ready for the little tacker :) because with all that energy he's going to need some exercise room <3

View attachment 25853

A picture of the piggy :)

Oh & if he survives this experience & me learning on the go - I think his/her name shall be "Splat" ;)

I hate it when they decide they're going to scare the living...poo out of you! One of my oldest is terrible for it. Mum's cleaning the tank, yay lets go trampolining! Feeding time, no way I want to fly! Not to mention his previous owner DROPPED HIM :crazy: on the way to bringing him over to me when I rehomed him...that was 6 months ago so if he can make it through that I'm sure your baby can make it through his ordeal!

Olivia97

Reaction score
Silly axies, when i take them out to do a BIG clean (through the substrate etc) they decide that they have become olympic swimmers and will do anything to squirm away ;)

FX1C

Reaction score
Thanks for the reassurances :)

They should come with warning labels ;)

So far so good :) if he/she makes it 24hrs I'm guessing it'll be fine! I've just bought an interim tank on eBay tonight & will pick up & set up with established tank water in the next day or so .... At least there'll be more space & I won't have to fill the water level as high - his current tank is barely 8litres & was just the egg raising tank :-/ his next is 90L & nearly ready - another week or so.

Also I was surprised how stocky & weighty the sweetie pie was - he doesn't look so solid in the water :)

<3 >o_o< <3

Moobear2010

Reaction score
My lil buggers just done same except i caught him n put him bk in within mili sec onds lol i couldnt believe my eyes!

FX1C

Reaction score
0.0 leaping lizards batman

Must be the weird moon :-/

I might have to get Splat a leash ;)

<3 >o_o< <3

FX1C

Reaction score
My lil buggers just done same except i caught him n put him bk in within mili sec onds lol i couldnt believe my eyes!

Sorry moobear - I thought I'd attached your quote to my post above :)

I'm so glad you had quick reflexes :D
*thumbs up!!!

<3 >o_o< <3

Moobear2010

Reaction score
I could see as i was removing water he was coming closer n closer to top but i just said "sorry buddy no worms yet" n he started to go back down like he understood n did an almighty turn n wooosh he was midair haha x

EmbryH

Reaction score
While I've never had my axie do any kind of flying death leaps, he does like to swim to the very surface of the water and make the biggest tail-slap he possibly can on the water. COVERS part of my wall every freakin' time. I used to keep origami next to his tank because it was pretty.... that was a poor choice on my part :<

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!