Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Metabolic Bone Disease..

waster

Reaction score
Looks like one of my axies developed this

a leucistic axie i own always had a bit of a slight open mouthed look
this open mouth look has gotten noticeably larger

this axie went off food about a year ago and got pretty skinny ( i had a sitter for 2 months)
the same axie also went off food for a bit this summer (sitter for 2 months again)

:(

i did the research and have come to the conclusion that he has MBD...
the tank mate is doing fine

he still has an appetite and will snap at food i drop by his head. he will also try to eat bloodworms but a lot of it escapes from his mouth as a result

he has snapped at live dew worms but doesnt fight them long enough to be able to take one down.... i may have to chop up worms and dangle it in his face

he is pretty skinny at the moment, seems to have an appetive, but the tip of his tail has developed some kinks

any one have any suggestions on how to help him out?
im not sure if the condition is reversable, but fattening him up again would be great

CJ1981

Reaction score
Hi,

Sorry to hear about your problems, the only think I can think off is feeding worms vitamin and mineral supplements before you give them to your Axie. If I remember correctly from University MBD can be caused by nutrition issues or a lack of UVB light. I had two rather skinny Axolotls and was advised to give them Wax worms to help bulk them up.

Hope that helps and good luck.

CJ1981

Reaction score
Hi,

Sorry to hear about your problems, the only think I can think off is feeding worms vitamin and mineral supplements before you give them to your Axie. If I remember correctly from University MBD can be caused by nutrition issues or a lack of UVB light. I had two rather skinny Axolotls and was advised to give them Wax worms to help bulk them up.

Hope that helps and good luck.

Oh yeah, make sure they are animal friendly supplements.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!