Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Is my axie morphing???

jeromeetabuzo

Reaction score
:ufo: my axie just got some dots and it was normal spots and the weird thing is that it stay up in the postion and goes down and swims around the tank like crazy and shortening of gills!! he was also eating and pooping fine what's happening to him is he normal?

FX1C

Reaction score
Have you tested the water?
What is the temperature?
What are the ammonia readings?
Are there any other axies in the tank or any fish etc sharing the tank?
Can you post a pics of the dots/spots - shortened gills?

Sorry for all the questions - just hoping someone with expertise here will be able to diagnose better with as much information as possible :)

<3 >o_o< <3

NeekaLovesYou

Reaction score
Some photo's would definitely help but I think it's most likely something to do with your water quality, which would explain the over-activity and gill shrinkage. It's worth investing in a test kit or taking a water sample to your local aquatic shop which should be able to test your water. Without pictures it's hard to identify what the spots are; they could just be freckles, or skin imperfections such as dimples which is totally normal. Metamorphosis pretty rarely occurs in axolotls. Failing that, it could be tiger salamander larvae but I have my doubts about that.

jeromeetabuzo

Reaction score
here's the pic

Attachments

• aaaaaaaa.jpg
    aaaaaaaa.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 471

FX1C

Reaction score
Thanks for the picture...

Have you tested the water? Could you please answer the basic questions first - that way people can help you & you axolotl :)

<3 >o_o< <3

jeromeetabuzo

Reaction score
Nope i cant test it i dont have one and cant buy i cant find any in philippines

CJ1981

Reaction score
Hi,

If you look in the last thread you posted (the one about the spots) I gave you details of an online site where you could buy test kits and have it shipped to the Phillipines. I know they ship there and are reliable as a friend of mine has family in the Phillipines and they use that supplier.

CJ

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
That doesn't look like a morphing axolotl. It looks stressed, either from poor water quality, being too warm, inadequate setup, etc.

Do you have any hides?

jeromeetabuzo

Reaction score
That doesn't look like a morphing axolotl. It looks stressed, either from poor water quality, being too warm, inadequate setup, etc.

Do you have any hides?
oh and also i forgot to tell you i bought that axie with that kind of gills already and it looks cute shes doing fine now thnx

FX1C

Reaction score
oh and also i forgot to tell you i bought that axie with that kind of gills already and it looks cute shes doing fine now thnx

Really?? Then why state in your post that there has been "a shortening of gills"? Are they shorter than when you bought her or not?

I am saddened that in the time since you were advised of the testing kits availability - you still haven't gotten one! :( your poor axie - it needs good water & the best way to guarantee that is by testing the water parameters. Do you have a thermometer in the tank so you can check the temperature daily? Given you are in the Philippines the tank temperature is very important to keep as cool as possible. There's no excuse to not do the very best we can when we take on the lifetime care of any animal!

<3 >o_o< <3

jeromeetabuzo

Reaction score
I really bought him with that looks he's doing fine now i changed the water and it's gills kinda cute :wacko:

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Barring testing your water quality, the best way to ensure it is adequate is by doing frequent, small water changes. This could mean 10% daily or more, depending on the size of your tank. Water changes aren't really an 'occasional' thing'. You need to do them regularly, not just when things look bad.

Those gills aren't 'cute'. They look ammonia-burnt, or at the very least they're scraggly. They're not normal, and you need to get to the root of why.

How big is your tank? How much water are you changing and how often? Nikki mentioned temperature. This is an important part of keeping axolotls. They're from glacial-fed lakes, and must be kept cool. They don't do well at temperatures over 20C for long periods of time.

You keep posting threads about how you think your axolotl is sick, but then you refuse to take any action toward making the tank better, or even providing us with any information about the tank. I'm not sure what you're expecting here.

Olivia97

Reaction score
I beg you to please take action, your axolotl is clearly stressed and you have had great advice given, i really hope your axie isn't suffering.

jeromeetabuzo

Reaction score
no guys seriously i bought him that look promise my other axie was doing good and also i said that they're eating and pooping fine and stopped going on top of the water and also active in nights and also they usually hug aren't that fine?:eek:

FX1C

Reaction score
no guys seriously i bought him that look promise my other axie was doing good and also i said that they're eating and pooping fine and stopped going on top of the water and also active in nights and also they usually hug aren't that fine?:eek:

I don't mean to offend by asking this question... How old are you? I'm just curious to know as I'm getting the impression you are very young.

<3 >o_o< <3

jeromeetabuzo

Reaction score
I don't mean to offend by asking this question... How old are you? I'm just curious to know as I'm getting the impression you are very young.

<3 >o_o< <3
im only 14 and loved amphibians so much!!:frog:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!