OH NO! can see bones at end of tail :(

Beagz

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I really hope someone can help me with my axolotl!

She's been off her food a bit, and the end of her tail is starting to look a bit scraggily.
I think i can see small bones sticking out the end!
I have only had axolotl's for a few months and I have no idea what could be wrong, my other ones seam to be fine, but this is making my stomach turn I feel so bad.

Please help!

A photo might help but i would say she's probably taken a nip to the end of her tail. My little girl came with a bit of her tail missing and it's slowly regenerating, it will most likely grow back naturally. How much was she eating before she went off her food? and what was she being fed?

A photo might help but i would say she's probably taken a nip to the end of her tail. My little girl came with a bit of her tail missing and it's slowly regenerating, it will most likely grow back naturally. How much was she eating before she went off her food? and what was she being fed?

did those photos work?

Attachments

• PB170017.jpg
    PB170017.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 278
  • PB170022.jpg
    PB170022.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 247
The same thing happened to my other black Axolotl; he went off his food, the flesh kept coming off his tail and i could see more small bones and he died.

I feed my axolotl on beef heart cubes as thats what the pet store suggested and stocked and thats what they fed all their axolotl on.

Does it look like it's got cotton wool like a fluffy substance on it?If so, it may have a fungal infection which you would treat with salt baths (not necessary if there's not fluffiness) I would advise against beef heart as it's too fatty and not a good solo diet. Earthworms or even pellets should really be a staple food. Most axies wont refuse earthworms.

Oh thanks so much for the advice!
Could you give me some advice for where I would be able to regularly buy some earth worms? Also, how big should they be?

I started off with one axolotl in a foot long tank as a random birthday present from a friend and in my excitement I've gradually built up to a 4 foot tank with 4 axie's, but up until now I've just been going off the advice of the local pet store which I now realise hasnt been that helpful - they told me to buy gravel for the substrate etc

Thanks so much everyone for all your help on here! Much appreciated :D

Most pet shops sell them now, I get mine from City farmers. You could buy your own worm farm from Bunnings if you have a few lotl's 'usually the petshop ones arent too big, thin and no longer then your pinky ..

IF petshops fail id suggest looking at Bait shops? or maybe find an online supplier through Google.

You can find them at most service stations like caltex etc. If all else fails and you cant gey your hands on earthworms buy a worm farm from bunnings, they sell the worms there too :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back