Question: Axies often coming up for air

ariella

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
Hi, Sorry if this has been posted, I tried searching the threads. I adopted a few axolotls a few weeks ago and have been through a few ups and downs with them. I have noticed that they seem to often swim up to the surface and grab a mouthful of air. Just wondering if this is normal or if it means the water is needing oxygen? The tank they came with had an air pump but I haven't used it as it makes a lot of bubbles and I read that they don't like it? Should I put it back in? Thank you in advance for any advice :happy:

This is pretty normal behavior. I can't tell you the exact reason behind it It might have to do with regulating buoyancy or just getting a little bit more air.

Either way, I wouldn't worry about it too much unless they're doing it absolutely constantly. That might be a little strange...

*hi-fives NZer*
Yeah, coming up to breathe once in a while is totally fine. As long as they're not doing it too often. They have rudimentary lungs.

If they are coming up to often, there may not be enough oxygen in the water. Then you might want to consider buying plants (although plants tend to use up oxygen at night), more frequent water changes or a filter, but a smaller, less powerful one. You can also create a spray bar to help dissipate the water flow (may have gotten the terminology wrong there).

Axolotls don't like much water movement.

I heard that an axolotl coming up for air often is a sign of high ammonia/ammonia poisoning. You should check your ammonia levels, just to be sure.

Although, axolotls do occasionally go to the surface for air, so it's most likely not a big deal.

Cool thankyou for that, they don't do it too often (well I don't really know what would be considered often). Maybe a couple times a day though? And usually one more than the other two

High 5 back NZ'er :D

Couple times a day should be fine. But like imzunicorn said, check your ammonia level to be sure:eek:. I guess frequent would be every 1-2 minutes or so? And hanging about the top can be another sign of lack of oxygen (close to the surface)

Two or three times a day is pretty normal :)

Buy an airstone, how big are your axies gills? Axies with smaller gills will take more breaths meaning the need for higher oxygen content. But as long as they aren't doing it constantly then all is good. (you might find they do it more while feeding)

They have been through a few ups and downs since I got them, wondering if I should post it all on this thread or start a new one, but I don't want to clog up the Forum with lots of threads haha. I have asked for and received advice on the online chat things, but since this is all very new to me and I didn't have much time to prepare before I got them I am slowly trying to work my way through all the issues and all the differing advice!

If you have some questions you may aswell ask them now and while we are online we can help. :)

Buy an airstone, how big are your axies gills? Axies with smaller gills will take more breaths meaning the need for higher oxygen content.

I have seen alot of pictures of axolotls and I have been wondering if these have rather small gills actually as compared to the photos I have seen they don't look as big at all

My axolotls have rather small gills, so i have an airstone to provide enough oxygen (not completely necessary) I've heard sponge filters will make their gills more pronounced. Also I've found pet store axies generally have less gill filaments due to poor water quality etc. Some axies have genetically small gills, others may have had a disease/fungus/attack prior to you getting them

The feathery bits of the gill on one of my axolotls are bigger and denser (I think I'm using the wrong descriptive words) than in most pictures I have seen, so everything is relative. Plus there is always variation in a species. A photo of your axies might be helpful :eek:

Okay, so bit of a long story, but for background info, I picked them up from a lady I know who had been left with them by her grandson, she didn't know what to do with them and asked me to take them. So I did. There were four in a 60cmX30cmX30cm tank which I read was too small and was absolutely filthy to the point where it stank up my house. I tried water changes and ended up having to do a full water change but left the pebbles in to cycle the tank. Not long after that one of the larger males had a leg chomped off and died and I had to change the water again, this time I removed the pebbles and scrubbed out the tank and started over again. Two are about 15-16cms and are female one is about 18-20cms and male. I currently do a 30% water change daily. This is getting hard to read so I will bulletpoint my questions! ( I will probably have more as I learn more)
* Should I add sand in
* Should I use a filter or just a gravel cleaner
* They seem to be rather picky eaters, they came with a bit of frozen 'axolotl food' from the pet shop, I have also tried bloodworm, earthworm, and liver.. they occassionally eat it or spit it out depending on their mood I suppose

Okay well first,
1) Bare bottom tanks are great for axies as theres no risk of them eating sand/gravel etc and less places for food/debris to hide.
2) This is more a matter of personal choice, some people choose to have a filter others would rather do a water change every couple of days.
2a) If you do choose to have a filter, you will need to cycle your tank, there's heaps of articles on cycling on here.
2b) I would always have a gravel cleaner to vacuum up any food.
3) What sort of worms are they? If they're composting worms then you may trouble because they have a foul odor when cut.

Also, don't stress about feeding, if they are hungry they will eat.

Definitely get rid if the aquarium gravel!!! I think its the number one killer of axolotls.
I have sand in mine cause I think it looks nice and is more natural than a bare bottom. I think my axies appreciate having something to 'grip' to when walking around, after all, they are Mexican walking fish;)

But a bare bottom is easier to clean, so your choice.

I don't have experience with a gravel cleaner, so I would go with either a filter or no filter at all. No filter means that you have to do water changes more often.

How much/how often are you feeding your axies?

Oh, that's what a gravel cleaner is. I got it confused with an under floor filter thing, sorry.

I call it a siphon.

Last edited:
Thankyou!
The pebbles are huge, more like small rocks, they are about 4-5cms across, way bigger than the heads of the axies
The earthworms are the big fat kind like those you see on the pavement when it rains (well in NZ anyway) so not tiger worms etc
I attempt feeding usually once a day, occassionally I miss a day to see if they will get hungrier and more inclined to eat
Trying to find my cameras memory card so I can upload a photo or two
Puppies are a lot easier (Nothing to do with this conversation just a personal observation haha)

I can't do this (I'm a terrible axolotl owner:() cause I love worms. But I've heard cutting them up into smaller pieces works.

Also, this maybe a stupid question, but do you thaw/defrost the stuff in the axolotl tucker container before feeding?

Haha my boys chop the worms in half, I kind of defrost the axolotls food with the tank water before I feed it to them, it says on the lid to feed frozen but I felt that was weird, so should I give it to them straight from frozen then?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back