Question: Do axolotls shed skin?

imzunicorn

Reaction score
Country
United States
And I don't mean like a snake sheds skin in one giant molt like that. I mean, like little bits of skin continuously?

Generally I've heard no, but if they have bad water quality or their slime coat is damaged you may see it start to "shed"

I've heard, though I don't know for certain, that sometimes they'll shed their protective slime coating if they get too stressed. Might be something to look into, and if you find this is the case, maybe check out some water treatments that help stimulate the growth of a new slime coat?

These are just suggestions of where to start researching; don't take what I've said as written-in-stone, as I'm still fairly new at this.

Really? I had heard that they don't have a slime coat and that's why you're not only able to touch them, but that you shouldn't use dechlorinator with stress coat in it.

Anyway, no, I don't have a problem with any of mine shedding skin dramatically. Although a few days ago, Spider had a fungus. I also had like 5 dead guppies in another tank because I didn't notice the filter wasn't on. The dead guppies were fuzzy with fungus. There were also bits of food everywhere that had fungus on it.

Anyway, during Spider's salt bath, I noticed he was shedding bits of skin and it dawned on me. Maybe the reason that axolotls get fungus is because they shed skin and that the rotting bits of flesh are attacked by bacteria. Would make sense since fungus, after so long, does eat at their living flesh.

If they shed when they're stressed, this would explain it. They're stressed by poor water quality. Also why it happens when they have an open wound, rotting flesh. In my case, Spider had a foot bit off by Monster when I put him in the tank temporarily and was being picked on by the other two after I moved Monster back. I realized how stressed he was after putting him in a quarantine tank alone because he hadn't eaten for nearly a week and now has been eating since being alone.

I figured they shed skin constantly because a lack of slime coat?

Hmm that's a good point but i thought they did have a slime coat? maybe someone with a more definite answer could help ;)

Axies do have a slime coat, I've only heard of them shedding after incidents where they have been dry after escaping their tank etc.. Perhaps a water quality issue?

Yes, they do have a slime coat. I said the following thing in another thread.
The mother of one of my friends accidentally dropped some bleach (don't know why but oh well) in my friend's axie tank. The axies started to shed like maniacs. I've never seen such thing. Days later they stopped shedding (my friend did a water change immediately after the bleach got into the tank but they shed for days probably... :( Poor things).
I thought they were about to die. They're still alive and now they're perfectly healthy. Thank god.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back