Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Breeding for colour

Chugga

Reaction score
OK I have previously bred dogs, I looked at genetics with respect to undesirable traits but always went with instinct and my eye for traits I wanted.

So I have mum and dad - dads a very dark wild type, mum leucistic - all the wild type siblings turned out dark except this one whose colouring I love (technically a wild type I guess) - apart from that stock I will also have golden albinos available (note we are talking about axies a couple of month old here).

So the question becomes do I have the stock available to me to breed for similar colour? In dogs it would be pretty straight forward - I would breed him with a golden (in dogs this would not be an albino of course) then choose the best (closet) to the desired colour then breed back to the parent with the colouring you want (or grandparent even better if you could find one) - with the golden being a complete outcross "too close" isnt such a drama.

I am aware of course that nature does what it wants and often isnt inclined to "follow the charts" but if I am going to breed I would rather being doing so purposefully (breeding for desired characteristics) than randomly. Colour would of course only be one consideration - have plenty of time in front of me though.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1