Earthworm breeding small and large scale

Mr Feathergill

Reaction score
Country
Zimbabwe
Ok here I am going to try and cover how to give your little axies their squirmy wormy treats more cheaply and efficiently.

Small worm farms

For any type of worm you will need.

A bucket
A shovel
Some newspaper
Some mud
A spray bottle
Worms
Mesh / shadecloth

Simply fill the bucket 1/4 of the way with shredded black and white newspaper ( the coloured ink kills worms) and then fill to 3/4 of the way with some regular (ant free) compost or garden mud.

Next add the worms, you can collect worms by laying a damp towel on the grass over night, digging after rain or buying worms from a local bait shop, pet shop or fellow hobbyist.

Dump the worms ontop of the soil in the bucket and then cover with the mesh or cloth(optional but reccommended)

To feed the worms put any of the below ontop of the soil and then spray until moist with the spray bottle.

Potato peels
Carrots
Mealie meal(corn flour only in small amounts)
Off potaos
Bread
Breadcrumbs
Grass clippings
Hay
Dryed out leaves

Don't feed

Meat
Dairy products
Acidic or citrus fruits

This whole setup can be in or out doors

Large scale worm farms

For those of us who have lots of axies to feed this is a good option

You will need

A 44 gal drum cut in half vertically or othe large surface area container bought or salvaged
Compost
Black and white newspaper
Dry leaves or grass clippings
A broom handle
Hay
Mesh or shadecloth
Worms
Garden hose

Take your container and put it somewhere outside ( I have all of mine under a tree for extra shade) and put enough newspaper and or grass and or leaves ( I have all three) at the bottom of the container ( just enough for a 2-3 inch layer should do) and then fill the rest with compost and then use the hose to just lightly dampen the soil.

You can now add the worms ontop of the mix.

Next you will need to cover the entire thing with a good 3+ inch layer of hay to stop the worms drowning during rain.

Feed the same as a small scale farm

To harvest don't dig,move some hay to one side, use the broom handle simply stick it into the soil and then pull it to the side like a lever and the soil will churn. Do this until some worms are on top and the take them as food.

Water when necessary and don't let them dry out

I have three of these going and they work great for mine I used half a 44gal drum and added 1000 worms but 100 will do fine a starter culture.

In zim we have ants that eat every last worm and to stop ants getting in (the most foolproof effective way) is to put all four legs of the container(you can use strong wood or I welded some metal) into small plastic or glass tubs, Tupperware or jars filled with water and keep those topped up no ant can swim across and eat your worms

My adult worms are about 8 inches long but mine breed so fast when the food is kept topped up that I have all sizes from 1 inch to 8.

I also feed worms to my 3 koi 4 goldfish my betta and worms are great wild bird food when put on a bird table ;);)

I saw that there was no sticky on this so admins feel free to sticky this for future reference;)

You must have read my mind., was about to ask for advice on making my own worm farm :happy: THANK YOU!

How long would worms last using the small-scale method?

It's not a question of how long it will last, but whether they can breed faster than you use them as feed.

When the bucket is full, Rome th bottom quarte (worm poo is great in the garden) and keep adding to the top

How long would worms last using the small-scale method?

Sorry for the late reply but if you leave the worms for a week before harvesting and top up with worms every 6 weeks or so you won't have to restart. If you only have 1 axie I found they can cope pretty well.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back