Sphynx is sick, help.

DeCypher

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Austin
My almost 4-year-old leucistic axolotl, Sphynx, is having a bit of an issue. Within the past 48 hours he has become very bloated-like. But he isn't floating, his abdomen is just swelling. Today I tried to feed him, not interested in food. I also noticed a mucous-looking substance coming from his mouth...best way to describe it is it looked like incense smoke.
I'm a bit concerned for him, I've never had a sick axie before.
He's been in the same setup he always has been in.

Attachments

• DSCF2598.jpg
    DSCF2598.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 20,391
  • DSCF2600.jpg
    DSCF2600.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 344
What is he fed on? Although his abdomen looks larger I wouldn't say he looks bloated but it's always worth keeping an eye out for further symptoms. When suffering from bloat their legs and necks usually swell increasingly. Although floating is commonly associated with bloat I've found they don't always float. When one of mine was suffering as apposed to floating, she would be positioned standing up right and was unable to resume her normal position comfortably.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back