Question: Help... newt not eating / getting bullied :(:(

curious penguin

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. I have 5 chinese f.b newts 3 female and 2 male they all get on fine untill its feeding time. I have had the females longer than the males and when i got the males one of them had a couple toes missing. They all went into a new 80liter tank at the same time and the first time they were fed the 2 smaller males were attacked by the females. Since then the male with the missing fingers has stopped eating (and now hides). I have put him in a seperate tank but he still does not seem to want to eat (or look happy) im getting worried because he is getting very skinny :( . There food is frozen blood worm and live brine shrimp. Thank you i look forwards to your replys :)

Could you post pictures? That doesn't sound like normal firebelly newt behavior. They're usually pretty peaceful. You could have a different species.

Hi

I agree with Kaysie, my CFBN are the most placid newts there are. Sometimes when feeding, espacially earth worms, they can go into a tiny bit of a feeding frenzy and they might grab another newts leg or tail by mistake, but it is released at once. The newt thats been bit shows no sign of harm and carries on eating.

I keep the young in with the adults until they morph, so there can be big differences in size eating together and there is no bullying.

Dave

I agreee, bullying is not common. My females are very greedy and may snap at males trying to get a bite to eat, but they do not chase them into permanent hiding.

I would keep your male separated until he starts eating again. Do others agree? It could be that he is still stressed which is why he refuses to feed even in the seperate tank. Perhaps you could try some live bloodworm from an aquatics shop or pet shop, or some chopped earthworm, the wiggling may entice him to eat sooner than dead bloodworm?

(P.S. I have just taken a look at your uploaded photos on your profile, I assume they are the newts? They are definately chinese fire bellies. Also I really like your Chinese themed ornaments!)

Last edited:
hello thank you for your replys. yes jane1187 its the same newts as on my profile :happy:. i did have him in a differnt tank over night but he looked more stressed (without his hiding places). so he is back in the main tank. he was not been chased into hiding just bullied at feeding time then not coming out. the newts are all friendly untill they smell the food then they become agressive. heres a pic of the little fella thank you for your help :happy:.

Attachments

• 20121120_230658[1].jpg
    20121120_230658[1].jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 215
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back