Different type??

Moobear2010

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just managed to catch a pic of my babies together. Are they two different types of axie? As one is so white and one pink.. Should i be worried about the pale one?? :/ x

Ooops pic would help... ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353531216.567592.jpg

I don't think so. My albino is pretty pale and is a picture of health. Likewise I have two golds; one of which is very orangey where as the other is quite pale with just a gold shimmer. Was he being quite inactive when the photo was taken? Their coloring can seem less vibrant when they're "being lazy". If he otherwise seems healthy, eats well etc I should just think its another variant. No two axolotls look exactly the same.

Sometimes its pale even when active i know its healthy eatin poopin n interacting well just didnt know if i had two different types there about 5/6" could i guess their age from the size? X

One of them looks like a straightforward albino, the other looks a little like a golden albino. Maybe it's an albino with a golden tinge, or possibly he/she is a golden albino. They do all look different too :)

I agree with Petersgirl - the top one looks like a pale golden albino that lacks the shiny pigment gene, and the other looks like a white albino.

Look at this :D
According to this website there are some different albinos:
Axolotls - Genetics and Colour (Look at the albino part, there are about 4, golden included).

Not sure if yours are different tho. Just thought it was cute to mention this genetics thingy :D

@Morrison: I love that site! It's a little hard to tell the albinos and white ones apart, as some of them don't darken until later. There are apparently 5 types of 'light' coloured axxies on there; the axanthic albino, which can turn yellow with age but is not strictly golden, the melanoid albino, which has NO colour at all apart from very pink gills and sometimes faint iridophores, the Golden Albino (a lot like the other albinos, but ranging in colour from a pale yellow to a very dark, orangey gold, a lot like NeekaLovesYou mentioned in her post), the white albino, which can have shiny pigments or iridophores on its gills and skin, and leucistic, which can be differentiated from the others by its black eyes. This one is not technically albino because it has pigmentation in its eyes - as Morrison pointed out, there are 4 types of albino. They can also get 'freckles' or 'masks' which are also determined by genes. There are also the very rare Piebald and Harlequin types. Piebalds tend to be a pale colour marked all over by a dark colour (not just freckles or a mask like leucistics get), and Harlequins are pale with orange and black markings. The only known example I have ever seen is here: http://www.caudata.org/forum/f46-be...nge-axolotl-color-metamorph-4.html#post131496. This is pretty much just the article Morrison posted, regurgitated, but I found it easier to understand this way. The genetics are absolutely fascinating in these little guys!

At a guess, your bottom one is either Melanoid, Axanthic or White Albino, depending on whether they have iridophores or turn slightly yellow as they age. Your top one looks most likely to be a Golden Albino. They already have very pronounced colour and will probably be very vibrant when they mature!

It's also hard to tell Melanoids and Wildtypes apart. Toothless was sold as 'black,' and she was for about a week, then her olive green patches and shiny 'spots' came through!
:D Either way, your axxies are still gorgeous looking babies!

Fantastic forum post Tigmades! So much easier and better to use if you have little ones.

Also, if you want to see some more variants, including Piebalds, Harlequins, Coppers, Silver Dalmations and Enigmas (although I suspect the Enigma is half Tiger Salamander!) there's some fab pics here: Sillylotls - Colour Variants Post - Colour Variants Post

Oh i havent seen any notifications for this post :( my babies have grown soo much ha. They have both come of colour now and look the same :) thankyou for all your replies and interestin things! Xx

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back