Question: New Owner with tons of Questions

ValiantNerd

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi, all!
I just became an Axie-mama a week or so ago. My little Baby is called Inka, and he's a cute little Albino thing. As far as I can tell (from what I've researched) be's just about to become a mature adult (aawwww)
But anyways! I have a ton and a half of questions. But here's a few:

It was suggested to me that because he's albino, he's blind. Is this true? Because I don't think it is, but Its so hard to tell since I'm not very familiar with this animal.

Another question I have is: I think I bought sand that is a bit on the rough side. Is it going to hurt him at all? I don't want to make him sick or scratch up his belly or anything (if that could be the case), but I'm unsure as to why fine sand is better.

Also! The person at the expo I bought Inka from gave me some little brown pellet/ball looking things. He didn't really explain them to me, just said they were food, and in my excitement it skipped my mind to ask. Should I continue give Inka just the pellets or add something else to his diet? Or get rid of the pellets all together? I mean, I like to think that people know what they're doing, but I don't always trust that.

One final question I can think of (sorry this is so long)
when I go to give the tank a good cleaning... How do you clean the sand?

Any response is greatly appreciated! Thanks, Ya'll :]

Hi, all!
I just became an Axie-mama a week or so ago. My little Baby is called Inka, and he's a cute little Albino thing. As far as I can tell (from what I've researched) be's just about to become a mature adult (aawwww)
But anyways! I have a ton and a half of questions. But here's a few:

It was suggested to me that because he's albino, he's blind. Is this true? Because I don't think it is, but Its so hard to tell since I'm not very familiar with this animal.

Another question I have is: I think I bought sand that is a bit on the rough side. Is it going to hurt him at all? I don't want to make him sick or scratch up his belly or anything (if that could be the case), but I'm unsure as to why fine sand is better.

Also! The person at the expo I bought Inka from gave me some little brown pellet/ball looking things. He didn't really explain them to me, just said they were food, and in my excitement it skipped my mind to ask. Should I continue give Inka just the pellets or add something else to his diet? Or get rid of the pellets all together? I mean, I like to think that people know what they're doing, but I don't always trust that.

One final question I can think of (sorry this is so long)
when I go to give the tank a good cleaning... How do you clean the sand?

Any response is greatly appreciated! Thanks, Ya'll :]

Albinos are not necessarily blind, it is not a condition associated with albinism in axolotls. I use rough sand with my axolotls but they are either fed with tongs or on feeding plates if I use pellets, I would be more concerned with axolotls ingesting rough sand than play sand but I am not sure if this has any scientific basis. If the pellets you have are amphibian pellets or trout pellets they are fine but your axolotl will probably prefer earthworms and they dont mess the water quality up as bad.

You don't really "clean" the sand however you can buy a siphon or sometimes called a gravel cleaner, these just take the waste from the top and don't take the sand with it usually.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back