Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Axie's Gills not grown back

Jen10s

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm new here but have had a couple of Axies for 12 months now. Can someone tell me if its possible for an Axie to completely lose its gills and survive long term?

xxianxx

Reaction score
Gill loss is generally indicative of poor conditions. Axolotls who lose their gills can survive as they can breathe through their skin and gulp air, the gills will generally grow back if they are kept correctly. What would concern me was that an axolotl lost its gills in the first place. I dont wish to prejudge you standard of care , so what was the reason for the gill loss ? And how do you keep your axolotls, water peramiters, temp, cleaning schedule etc ?

NeekaLovesYou

Reaction score
As Ian said, it's probably a water quality issue. Yes, they can survive without them but I doubt happily as there must an issue within the tank to cause the loss in the first place.

Jen10s

Reaction score
Thanks for answering - I definitely have issues with my water quality at the moment (readings for GH & KH are off the scale at 180!! PH is 7.0, NO2 0 and NO3 around 200) I put this down to bad advice from Pet shop telling me to add Multi Cure. Now water is light green and I'm trying partial water changes daily to get rid of it.

Axie lost her gills not long after purchase so this is a long standing problem (12mths) and also has persistent fungus problems. Poor thing has had so many salt baths to no avail that the slime coat is practically non existent. Any advice is much appreciated and I hope I can restore my tank to its proper parameters soon. :happy::happy:

Jen10s

Reaction score
Sorry, I forgot to describe tank environment. 90L tank, crushed coral base, running 2 canister filters, airstones and artificial plants.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
You say the water is green? I would start doing some significant water changes. Green is usually a sign that there's copper in a product; copper is pretty toxic to axolotls.

Why do you have 2 canister filters running? That seems excessive on a small tank. How much movement is there in your water? Axolotls really prefer still water, and too much movement can stress them, especially since you've got airstones too.

FX1C

Reaction score
Can you post pictures of your tank & axies please, showing the gills

it sounds like it's a very serious issue... if its been going on for 12 months then it's really time to get it sorted out :) with the experts on here they will be able to help work through any problems.

<3 >o_o< <3

Jen10s

Reaction score
I pretty much knew as soon as I added the Multi Cure that I had to get it out ASAP. I didn't want to do 100% water change in case of shock so have been doing about 20% every 2 days. Axies seem to handling the toxic water for now and I'm sure every water change is welcomed.

Both Axies are swimming, gulping and eating OK but I'm sure they can't possibly be at their best until their health improves (the Black / Brown one with no gills has also lost a leg).

Tank has always had 2 filters (from the days of keeping fish) so it's no drama to remove one - I'll do that when I log off. The other filter has a flow control on it so is OK if I turn it right down to minimum flow ?

Will try to upload some pics - but may take a few hours before I get the opportunity.
:eek:

NeekaLovesYou

Reaction score
Minimum flow on the remaining filter is the best way to go - I have all my filters turned down to a nearly non existent outflow. The re-occuring fungus will be down to stress, either from the filters being to powerful and/or water quality.

Jen10s

Reaction score
Hopefully here are some photos of our little guys - had some trouble uploading.

Any advice and suggestions are greatly appreciated....:eek:

Attachments

• Axies III.JPG
    Axies III.JPG
    192 KB · Views: 235
  • Axies II.JPG
    Axies II.JPG
    205.2 KB · Views: 251
  • Axies I.JPG
    Axies I.JPG
    210.2 KB · Views: 226
  • Axies.JPG
    Axies.JPG
    228.5 KB · Views: 252

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Gravel isn't a good substrate for axolotls. They can swallow it, leading to impaction and sometimes death. You should get that out ASAP.

And go ahead and do more frequent water changes. 30% a day or so. Set up your water the day before so the temperature is equalized and it has time to de-gas.

Also, your axies look pretty skinny. What kind of foods are you offering? How often?

Jen10s

Reaction score
What kind of subtrate is best ? I'm feeding them live feeder fish (4 or 5) every 2 days. The golden one would probably eat a lot more if I keep offering them but the other turns her nose up after 3.

Feeder fish are Rosie Barbs (I think), I get from a guy that breeds them.

NeekaLovesYou

Reaction score
They look really thin so maybe they have already eaten some gravel?

Do you think so? Most of the axolotls I've rehomed with minor impactions have had swollen abdomens :confused: I suppose it could go either way if they're refusing food though.

FX1C

Reaction score
That coral looks like a nightmare for ingesting as well as cleaning! Plus coral will affect water PH seriously depending on the age of the coral & how well cleaned it was before going into a freshwater tank (it's saltwater after all!)

Given how poorly your axies look - really think about cleaning out all the coral & either leaving the floor bare glass (that way you'll easily see any gravels that get passed in the poo)
Feeding fish should be more like a bonus treat - the staples should be live earthworms or live bloodworms & feed them daily for a while.

Getting the water healthy should be a priority & hopefully when all that's done your axies will get healthier & happier :)

Good luck & keep us updated :) looking forward to a happy outcome soon :D

<3 >o_o< <3

Jen10s

Reaction score
Hi there - a quick update, currently in the process of removing the crushed coral substrate as advised and replacing with sand. Should I keep some of the coral somewhere in the tank (in a mesh bag or something) to help maintain the PH levels they are used to?

They didn't like me taking "their coral" - kept sitting over it so I couldn't get it out lol :D
I'm sure they will love their sand once I put it in and get the tank settled again. Guessing I need to keep a close eye on water parameters for quite a while.

Olivia97

Reaction score
Hi there Jen, When i removed my substrate i put sand in but now i think it may have been heaps easier to leave it bare bottom, there's many ways of painting the bottom of the tank in cool colours etc, axies are really dirty and the sand goes everywhere! Have you got your hands on some worms yet? You can buy them online or even start a worm farm :D

Jen10s

Reaction score
Hi there - I've just put the sand in and waiting for it to settle. Axies are relaxing in their tubs waiting for their tank to be ready for them.

Found a couple of earthworms in fridge from previously - Golden one doesn't seem to mind 1 or 2 but the darker one is freaked out by them and either swims away or if she takes one, spits it back out. They still prefer their live fish so I'll have to wean them back and find something better to offer. Is beef Liver or beef heart OK? They don't seem to go for frozen blood worms either ...... :confused:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1