Question: Still having some troubles.

Olivia97

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
Olivia
One of my axies Mr Bigglesworth has been looking rather flustered in the gill department, they just don't look right. Any help?:eek:

Attachments

• IMG_4907[1].jpg
    IMG_4907[1].jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 191
Is there any way for you to get a clearer picture, it's really hard to tell! :happy:

Hmm ill try and get a different one, but it might be just as bad

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 169
Well from what I can see they just look on the short side, have they always been short or has it only recently occured? They don't appear to be molting and I assume you've checked your water quality.

Yes they have always been short and rather "in" but they look really scraggly, water quality is fine ( 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 20 nitrate) but the pH is at 8 could this be a contributing factor or maybe I'm just paranoid!

How old is he? When mine were younger their gills always looked a bit worse for wear. I went out of my mind with worry but their water was fine and they were otherwise in perfect health. Since they've aged slightly their gills look more "normal" for use of a better word. He looks lovely to me and of course, axolotl gills come in all shapes and sizes. I wouldn't say the PH level is catastrophic.

Yea I have never known it to make a difference I guess I just worry about them :3 haha he's about 2 or 3 maybe? But I think he suffered an attack fungal or maybe by fish before I got him because he had no filaments what so ever. :) thank you for putting my worries at ease x

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back