Illness/Sickness: She can't go to the bottom

Chenzo

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi,
To be breif,

My axolotl's name is Jar Jar and she has trouble staying on the bottom of the tank.

She has a 25 litre tank to herself, filtered (pointing towards glass so not to cause too much water movement) and airated.
Her diet is 1 small ice cube of blood worms every 2-3 days
Treated her for constipation, and she was. But after the fridging she still had trouble submerging.

Treated her a second time for constipation but no result.

Her skin is a little slimey (don't know if thats normal or not) but no cloudiness. She looks uncomfortable and restless in the tank. Water condition are fine pH7.0 Ammonia, Nitrate & Nitrite all 0.0

I would really like someones help & opinion, is there other information you need to help.

How big is your axolotl?

Are you sure those are your water parameters? What kind of test kit are you using? That tank is pretty small for an axolotl. How often do you do water changes?

How warm is your tank?

Head to tail 16cm
water is correct API freshwater master kit
50% every fortnight
Tank isn't heated so temperature is less than 20 degrees celcius
tank dimensions are 45cm length x 25cm height x 20cm depth
She spends a lot of time going over to the filter and putting her whole body as close as she can get to the water movement against the glass.
Is she trying to clean herself with this action?
Should I move on and treat her with a salt bath?
Change her diet?

Just because you are using a API test kit doesnt mean its correct, I'd recommend testing other water to make sure...mine has apparently expired.

How old is your axie? I noticed when my axie was very small, she'd swim around the top of the tank and was kinda crazy. When she got bigger and hit maturity, she slowed down and now walks around the bottom and swims around the bottom, except to get air and food lol.

Why would you give her a salt bath for unusual behavior? Axolotls can be quixotic, and treating for something that was not a fungus or other reason to treat with salt is unnecessary.

By slimy skin, what do you mean? When you touch it? Because axies have a slime coat, and are supposed to be slimy when touched.

Do you perhaps have pictures?

On a separate note I would recommend a 30% change weekly rather than a 50% fortnightly. Do you have a thermometer? Even if your tank isn't heated doesn't mean it's below 20, my 3 ft (with much bigger water volume than yours) will heat above 20 on a 25 degree day.

As to her age I couldn't tell you, she was bought from a pet store 6 mths ago.
She didn't have this problem when i first got her.
The test kit is fine I use it for my fish tanks.

I read online what can cause this and the main two were constipation and skin bacteria.
YOUR AXOLOTL IS SICK WHAT DO YOU DO!? by #Axolotl-Love on deviantART
I don't want to give her a salt bath unless totally necessary.

I'm going to fridge her again because she is clearly stressed

Could it be that when i do water changes i treat the (tap) water with
-Marine Master - Water Ager (Chlorine and Chloramine neutraliser)
-Melafix (anti-bacterial)

Stop using melafix! It's toxic to axolotls.

Ok, no more Melafix.
Going to fridge her while i cycle her tank

No only when she ripped her tail.
but that was after she developed the floating problem

Fridging is good. If she is having trouble passing waste, that should help.

she's leaning on one side while in the fridge.
Is this normal?

I think thats a.. side... effect of the floating. pun intended ;) sorry but, really i dont know :(

Clean tank 80% water change
de-fridged, fed, replaced her in her tank.
floated, but awoke this morning and she's back down the bottom.

Have noticed that she has a couple of yellow spots on her head.
Any ideas what they could be?

No She's back to the top and can't get down again.
She keeps trying and you can see is frustrating her.
i now have place something up high so she can rest up top on.
Maybe that might help in de-stressing her

I'll give her a go on some earth worms. I've read they are better anyway.

Fridging is something that should be done over the course of a few days, not just a few hours. Abrupt changes in temperature can be stressful, as can too many swings in temperature.

thanks, already know. refidgerated her tank water to match temp. does anyone have anything in relation to my questions please

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back