Illness/Sickness: HELP: Stressed Axies?

Cocoapanda10

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
RedMage
I thought my Axolotl was dead yesterday. He had stayed in the same position for 7 hours, gills pasted to his head, a curled tail. So I moved him into a tub, and left him alone with some food. After some hours he was alright, and I left him and his brother/sister (they're 6 months old..) in the small tank they grew up in when they were 2-4 months old.

My brown one is the same. I'm going to bin all of the substrate I have because it has leftover food stuck in it, and there's old food on the plants, the filter and the air stone.

Also, i know for a fact the air stone is not causing this. They hatched with an air stone.

My first guess would be there's an issue with the water quality and suggest you invest in a test kit to test it. Failing that, most aquatic centers can and will test your water either for free or a very slight fee. The fact that there's a lot of left over food would suggest you might be over feeding - how often are they fed and what do you feed them? Spoiled food can play havok with the water quality. Your filter could also be blocked hence why there seems to be so much waste. How often do you do water changes?

I second everything Dinky said. Also, invest in a siphon and a turkey baster to remove uneaten food and waste.

My first guess would be there's an issue with the water quality and suggest you invest in a test kit to test it. Failing that, most aquatic centers can and will test your water either for free or a very slight fee. The fact that there's a lot of left over food would suggest you might be over feeding - how often are they fed and what do you feed them? Spoiled food can play havok with the water quality. Your filter could also be blocked hence why there seems to be so much waste. How often do you do water changes?
I was feeding them once a day with bloodworm pellets. Only a few. Only one of my axies were eating them, and even 4 a day couldn't go down. He would eat maybe 2 or 3, sometimes none. I now have some frozen bloodworm, and they're eating that like there's no tomorrow.
I've done another water change, as the water got cloudy in their small tank, and i'm removing EVERYTHING from the tank, cleaning it and getting rid of the 6 month old substrate.

I also don't use the filter, as it drags the Axies towards it and I don't want them stuck in it. And because it pumps out alot of crud.
I also do 1 water change every couple of days.

Do you remove the uneaten food after they've finished eating. If you can find yourself some small worms they are a lot less messy. Most test kits are relatively cheap, make sure you buy the dropper type not the dip strips, they are very inaccurate most of the time.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back