Broken limbs of axolotl

turtle7

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
Display Name
Turtle_Lover
My axolotl has a pair of its limbs broken, maybe by the filter. What should I do?

Ouch oh no.

Sorry to hear that your little one is hurt.

I use pre filters sponges over the ends of all my filter intakes. This not only keeps the impeller from getting gummed up as often but prevents larvae, eggs, and limbs from getting stuck and the axi struggling till something gives, usually bone or skin.

Aside from preventing it you can only keep the little guy cool, dark and calm and see if they heal.

Good luck.

This is the photo. Sorry for the bad photograph. If you want, check the leg.

Attachments

• SAM_1351.jpg
    SAM_1351.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 9,302
Could you get a better photo? If you think it's broken it most likely is, they heal very well though.

So, I can rely on the ability of the axolotl to regenerate to cure it.

Only time will tell if they heal proper but they will heal. They may heal a bit crooked, or the tissue could die and the leg fall off. I can't tell how bad it is from your pic. Either way it will heal. Just give him time and keep him cool and fed well.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back