Help pleurodeles waltl

troll85

Reaction score
Country
Italy
Hello!
Yesterday I bought three newts (Pleurodeles W.). One of the three newts (from this morning) remains afloat and he can not get off to the bottom ("he can not""....). However now he seems to be well and he eats normally. I have put aside him in an aquarium (with a littler water). He is long 7-8 cm.
What can I do???:confused:

If he can't get off the bottom, how is he floating? How deep is their water? My waltl is usually skulking around on the tank floor, only swimming to the surface for air occasionally.

Hi thank-you...
He floats with legs extended...and the water was 8-9cm but now is 2-3cm. He wants to go on the bottom but "he can not". He finds difficult to get off.....
Could be the fault of the pellet (special pellet for newts) ????
I have also other adult Pleurodeles but is the first time that I see this attitude...
Thank you again.

Waltl can be kept in much deeper water in fact a lot of people keep them fully aquatic. They may occasionally choose to go on land but it's not incredibly often. It's also not uncommon for them to suffer from bloat. If he's eating well I wouldn't be too worried but keep him confined in the tub for now so you can keep an eye on him.

Troll, have you tried offering other foods? It could be that your pellets aren't being digested properly and are causing gas buildup in the gut. Earthworms are a great option.

Thanks.
I really hope that the problem is not bloat....
Now he eats normally micro crickets....but I try with earthworms....(good advice)....
Now I leave him aside for a while...

Hi,
my young Pleurodeles seems to be well... he eats crickets and earthworms....voraciously.
Today he has changed (totally) the skin, in an "integral manner."..
However I leave him alone again....
I will let you know if there will be problems...thank you again :happy:

Unfortunately I'm here...again....
my young pleurodeles (bought one week ago) now swims well....but the new problem is that he is changing the skin for the second time, again. In addition, he has a very strong odor :)eek:), not reassuring! And I'm not sure (!) if it starts to be a small ulcer behind a limb.
He eats normally again....and he seems to be very well....
I'm afraid that it may be an infection, because about two years ago, I had a similar problem (the same odor, the skin often changed and and big ulcers) with Cynops Orientalis...and the Vet was very vague, saying only that the problem was of the seller ( overcrowding).:uhoh:
He is alone.....the other two pleurodeles seems to be well....until now:uhoh:
What do you recommend me?? I usually keep the tweezers (to feed my urodeles) always in water and Sodium Hypochlorite 0.05%...is there (if it will be an infection) the risk of infecting my other animals???
Thank you again...!!!!

Just a thought: Are you rinsing the sodium hypochlorite (bleach) off of your tweezers very thoroughly before using them? This product is very toxic to amphibians, and exposure to a lot of it can cause ulcers.

There are of course many other causes for ulcers. There is a really good article on ulcers and sores on the site: Caudata Culture Articles - Sores

Hi and thank you.
Usually, I always wash well all..and I've never had any problems with my amphibians (amukine med 0.05% is the trade name) But I did not know it was so dangerous for the amphibians! Thank you for the advise.
Yes...I had already read the article....but my question is if there is any risk of contagious (if it is an infection) with the tweezers...? And other advices?

The solution you're using is probably disinfecting well enough to prevent the spread of pathogens, although it does depend on what you're trying to kill. Bleach/sodium hypochlorite is quite effective, but doesn't kill everything, and cleaning with a detergent first then contact time with your disinfectant is important.

Generally ulcers on amphibians are caused by opportunistic pathogens-- bacteria/fungi that are normally in the environment and harmless, but because the animal is immunocompromised they are problematic.

Have you tried any of the remedies in the article, yet? I have had a lot of success using triple antibiotic ointments (e.g. Neosporin, Polysporin), or silver sulfadiazine cream (prescription-only, so you need a vet to get it). What I've done for treatment is isolate the newt in a container with damp paper towels, apply the treatment to the ulcer(s) for 15-20 minutes, then rinse and replace the newt into a quarantine aquarium. Do this daily until the wound has healed.

I lost one of my young P.waltl from bloat yesterday, I had it isolated in a small shallow tub with plants to hide in and an inch of water in a cool spot. Hope yours gets better and nice to see someone appreciating the dangers of this condition.

Hi C.S. Miller, and thanks again.
I found very interesting the Silver Sulfadiazine; I know the good properties of Silver Sulfadiazine and the ability to create fewer side effects than the antibiotics.I think that, as first line of treatment, it can be good. Luckily I had the Silver Sulfadiazine at home.
My newt is always alone, but currently he does not seem to show sign of suffering and/or cutaneous lesions...
Hi nai live, and I'm sorry for your Pleurodeles.....these moments are always terrible.

Hi,
currently, all It's ok...the small ulcer seems to have disappeared and my young newt eats without problems.
However, I remain prudent....
Thank you for all!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back