Question: Should the filter stay?

aaustin15

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Ali
Okay, so i just returned from spending thanksgiving with my parents in Florida. When i checked on my newt, i realized i had left the filter off accidentally for about four days. I obviously panicked and tested the water immediately because i always have problems with the nitrites anyway. to my surprise, the nitrites and nitrates were at zero! should i just lose the filter and only do my weekly water changes or should i turn the filter back on? i have a ten gallon tank with one P.labiatus.

I'd keep it in for in the beneficial bacteria. Although its been off, its still been in the tank so it's not like you've lost anything. Plus it'll keep your water clear :p

If you've left the filter off for more than a day, you should take it out and clean it before plugging it back in. The bacteria in the filter need fresh, oxygenated water. Since the filter's been off, the bacteria are probably all dead. If you plug the filter in without cleaning it, you'll eject all of the dead bacteria and their waste into the tank, causing spikes in ammonia, and possibly hydrogen sulfide.

After cleaning it well as Kasey recommended I would continue to use the filter- unlike most newts labiatus come from swiftly moving bodies of water. They appreciate a current.

i have a little current thing in there. but okay, i actually have a new filter for it, so ill just plug that one in since the bacteria are dead in the other one anyway. but i found it really weird that when i have the filter on (its been running for months now) the nitrites are always at like 3-4 ppm. but when it was unplugged everything sorted itself out and the nitrites were zero.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back