Setting up juvenile tank

Smdee

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Staci
Hey all, I'm (finally) setting up a more permanent home for my two little axolotls. Looking at just a simple setup for now, as I plan on separating them into different tanks/getting a bigger tank when they get older.

They're about 6 months old and are about 3-4 inches (7 cm?) right now. I have a bare10 gallon tank. I think bare-bottom would be best at this point, but maybe not? Also wondering what kind of hides would be recommended and if a bubbler or filter would be better? Any other suggestions would be great (like I said, this is a temporary home. They REALLY need to get out of their little tanks ASAP. Simple is key...cheap works too :wacko:)

Here's a pic of them, maybe just to show their size/age a bit more (no, they're not always together in this tiny tank. It was cleaning day XD)
smdee-albums-pets-picture25180-quetzel-yoshi.jpg

I probably should note that I do have an adult axie and her tank is set up with sand and a clay pot hide. I'm just want to know what others would recommend for this tank and if young axolotls need anything special.

Bare bottom, PVC Y's and T's work good for hides, they are cheap too. A small air stone is ok as would a small filter. If using a down spout filter pickup tube I recommend a pre filter sponge to prevent feet from getting stuck in the plastic mesh cap.

You can tackle the air stone, filter, and pottential for getting stuck with a sponge filter.

You can get the sponge seeded with the other axi tanks good bacteria then transfer it over.

Good luck

Thanks! I'll work on getting a sponge filter all ready for them :). Would you recommend PVC affixed to the tank or just resting on the bottom of the tank?

You can just put them in without sticking them to the bottom of the tank, easy to clean the tank if you do not stick the pvc down. Buy bigger so they can grow into it, so like 3-4 inch inside diameter or whatever looks good. then wash in hot water with very mild soap, then rinse and rinse and rinse to get rid of any soap residue. Lastly check for any rough edges. There shouldn't be but on occasion there are a couple spots where the injection mold left it a bit rough.

Good Luck

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back