Question: White mold in our terrarium

MessyJessy

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hello all, I was wondering if anyone has any ideas as to what to do about white mold in our salamander's terrarium. I don't have a really elaborate set up. We have a 33 gallon aquarium with graded substrate (plantation soil and moss) one end is deeper for him to burrow, and it gets gradually shallower, where on the other side his little rock pool sits. We have some cork logs with places for him to hide and well as a few stones and a rock looking thing that is like a cave for him to hide in. We have a nice mural covering the back of the tank that looks like a forest floor, and some artificial plants hanging from the sides of the tank on either end to give it a more realistic feel. We have a metal mesh screen over the top of the tank as well as a bulb that provides no heat, but UVA and UVB rays. We mist the set up when the moss on the top feels dry and the humidity gets to the 50% or less. We do not have any left overs from feeding as we feed him with tweezers (he is a very amusing beggar! :D ) The area is ventilated with the mesh screen, and it is not soaked by simply moist. Does anyone have any ideas???

Is it just spotty, in the soil? Soil microbes can boom and bust, and sometimes you get weird things like gnats, mushrooms, or white mold. If it's in the soil, just scoop it out and discard it. If it's on decorations, these can be scrubbed with a nylon brush to remove. How often do you change your substrate?

Salamanders don't need UV light, especially tigers. They spend their lives underground, and wouldn't be exposed to UV in the wild. There are some studies that have shown UV rays to be damaging, so I would recommend removing that immediately.

Hi, Thanks for the reply. I did remove the light. We put it up because the girl at the pet store said we needed it, especially since it was in a basement where it receives almost no natural light. It is a spotty mold usually on the moss, and I have been pulling it out, I was just curious as to why it keeps coming back. I also was curious as to whether or not it can harm the salamander! I don't have a schedule as to when I change the substrate, I just do it when it goes from smelling earthy to slightly foul, or when we get the little bugs coming out of it. It seems to average about ever 10 to 14 days. Also just out of curiosity, do you happen to know the difference between a terrarium and a vivarium? I keep seeing things about vivariums and I was wondering if tree is a difference or not. Thanks for the advice, I will take anything I can get. I want to make sure my sweet little guy has the proper accommodations to make him healthy and happy

To my knowledge terrarium are usually all glass and can be tall whereas vivariums are wooden with just glass doors and longer in length. Aquarium tanks are fine for salamanders. I keep 2 tigers in a three foot glass tank with 5 inches of coco husk substrate. They have a screen lid for some ventilation and to prevent escape (although the sides are high so its near enough impossible for them to get out.) Plus a water dish for them to "bathe" in and some hides. They seem very happy and healthy in there :)

I have a 50/50 mix of coco fiber and topsoil; I change it every 2 or 3 months. What kind of moss are you using? You might want to try adding regular dirt to your mix. How deep do you have it?

As far as salamander keepers go, there's no real difference between terrariums and vivariums. They're both terms we use for a terrestrial tank; as oppose to an aquarium, which is aquatic.

I have a grade in depth of the substrate. At the end where we have a rock pool for him to take a swim it is about 2 inches deep, and it gradually increases in depth, and the far end it is about 8 inches deep. I was not using regular soil as I was worried about fertilizers and pesticides, so I tried to keep away from that.

You can pick up organic topsoil. I use a brand called Earth Gro. Not sure if it's available in Canada, but if not, you can dig your own from the great outdoors.

I will have to look for that, thank you. It would be hard to dig up right now, it's very cold with tons of snow, good thought though! Thank you again!

I had this mold appear as well around the edges of the tank, I'm guessing where the water was not drying. I wiped it away and it hasn't come back since.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back