Frantic Swimming, Floating

brethrend

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Okay I just noticed he was not like himself, his backside was floating a few hours ago and now he's floating all together, I thought it was just constipation or something, but I changed 50% of the water and now he's swimming frantically like he's trying to get air all in one spot, i'll film a video of it and send it in about 10 minutes. But for now please help.

Do you have an airstone? Also what is you substrate? How is your tank setup and cleaning routine

Do you have an airstone? Also what is you substrate? How is your tank setup and cleaning routine

I have a small airstone till I gather the money to buy another one.
I've got large frogstone as the substrate and I clean about 20% of the tank water every 2 weeks.

I'll post pictures in a sec.

Do you test your water parameters? How big is your tank?

Frantic swimming is almost always a sign of poor water quality.

I have a small airstone till I gather the money to buy another one.
I've got large frogstone as the substrate and I clean about 20% of the tank water every 2 weeks.

I'll post pictures in a sec.

large stone are notorious for hiding bits of uneaten food/gunk etc.which wreaks havoc on your water parameters. I would also say that 20% is not enough every 2 weeks. Do you use a filter, if you do, do you clean it?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back