Escaping Axie

randomcapitals

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I just went over to check the temperature in Lumos's tank since it's going to get hot today and found her on the floor.:eek:
I don't know how she got out of her tank the only opening in the glass lid is a little triangle in the corner less than an inch along the side.
She must have fallen about 1.5 meters to the floor and I suspect she's walked about a bit because she had fluff on her head that must have come from under her tank stand. I don't know when she made the leap or how long she'd been out of the water. I just thank God the cat is outside. I thought she was dead but when I picked her up she moved so I put her back in the tank. Now she's standing still but her tail is at a strange angle and I'm worried she's broken it.
Has anybody else ever had an escaping axie?
Does anybody know what kind of damage a period out of water could have done?
And is there anything I can do to help her if her tail is damaged? I'd hate to think she was in pain.:(
I know fish will occasionally make a break for freedom but I've never heard of this happening with an axolotl, especially with a tank lid in place. So I'd say to everybody out there be aware they can get out of a supposedly secure tank.

My baby Tuco jumped out of her tank and splatted on the concrete. Luckily I was right there to hear it and get her back in the water right away. She had a really nasty looking gash and flap of skin hanging off her belly which worried me sick, but she has since gotten all better. They have remarkable healing abilities, so hopefully your will be fine as well.

Many axolotls will jump out of their tanks, there's really not much you can do except monitor her progress, with the heat spell in Aus i would recommend the fridge, not just "Fridging" but mine are also going in, because the tank is already at 23 degress and its 8:30 in the morning. You don't want your axie under anymore stress so pop her in a large container with tank water in the fridge and wrap the container in a towel.

I hope he makes it ok. Unfortunately, I lost a little guy a couple of months ago to a tank escape, but I hear so many success stories from posters here that I have high hopes that your little guy will be ok.

Put him in the fridge, be sure to change his water daily (more if he soils it), with decholrinated, fridge temperature water (keep a gallon in the fridge at all times).

Keep an eye out for fungus. The cold, clean water will slow his metabolism so he will heal better :)

Sorry for your loss, hacelepues. Fingers crossed Lumos will make it, just like Tuco did.
So far she's still alive but she's not moving at all, except for occasionally flicking her gills. Her tail has come down to a more normal position but her back is hunched up like a cat about to pounce. I'm keeping a close eye on her. Fortunately she seems to be a resiliant little thing. She was a rescue animal and had a few problems when I adopted her-she's still missing two gills on her right side- but she's otherwise well so I can only hope she'll be okay.

Well, it's been two weeks and Lumos seems to have made a full recovery from her little escapade. She's straightened out, is eating normally and moving again as good as ever. No obvious ongoing injuries and no fungus developed.:D

Glad your axie made it :D now it has a cool story to tell the others "yeah, I've been outside the glass..."

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back