Question: Pancakes gills looks unwell?

Rhino

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
Ryan Hancock
Hello my New axolotl i have had for atleast 1 month has me paranoid about his gills health..

I feed him every night It is mostly brineshrimp and he gets bloodworms every now and again
Water tempt is fine a around 24C
Water levels are fine also
He has a Quiet bubble filter and a calm water filter
a Hiding urn for himself and a plant

I am just abit paranoid about the health of his gills they just don;t look right to me, if i could get any suggestions or help about this problem that would be great

Attachments

• 20121129_125054.jpg
    20121129_125054.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 1,683
What are the water parameters like specifically ammonia levels and nitrate levels. I let my aquarium go once for a bit to long and the poor water quality made really tiny gills. Luckily once I fixed the problem everything grew back beautifully.

I couldn't help but notice your substrate. It's very small so I'm a bit concerned about your axolotl swallowing some rocks and causing lots and lots of problems.

Also Pancakes looks a little big for brine shrimp. You may want to consider a different, more nutritious food source like protein based pellets, earthworms, or something like that. That may help your little guy grow a little, including the gills.

I hope this helps! Best of luck to you!!

Ph is around 7.0-7.5
NO-2 is around 4
NO-3 is below 160
KH is around it's 40's
GH is between 30-60

That is what i have from the tests at the moment

and the substrate is fine he won't eat anything unless he can sense my fingers, mostly he eat with his head pointing up now

and the substrate is fine he won't eat anything unless he can sense my fingers, mostly he eat with his head pointing up now

You may think it's fine but axolotls scavenge. On a another note, i have tjis sand and its perfectly acceptable. Axies have swallowed stones as big as their heads, there's not a concern for no reason. You should also be testing for Nitrite, nitrate and ammonia. Brine shrimp is definitely not a good diet for adult axies and will be wreaking havoc on your water. 24 is also not a great temp to be at

Try lowering the temperature. Axies prefer temperatures below 20C, ideally at 18C. Although slower the temperature slowly. A rapid temperature change will stress him out.

The Temperature went down because i had to do a water change anyway it's around 19-20C
The No-3: .20
The No-2: 3.5
The Ph: 6.5
The Kh: 0
The Gh: 0

Are these water readings sounding alot better?

and Maybe feeding him Bloodworm's would be a lot better for him?

Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back