Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Cleaning The Vivarium

stokay

Reaction score
I will build a new vivarium/paludarium ( i dont know what it will be called :) ). In some part there will be a pool for my Fire Salamander with water fall. the rest will be land including some plants.
My consider is; what type of settlement/pomp/filter whatsoever i have to put in to water fall to prevent water get dirty? Since it is also possible my salamander will be making his toilet to the pool, what will be the perfect setup for to clean/refresh the water?
Thank in advance for your kind helps.

Vern5384

Reaction score
I like the fully submersible canister filters. They are compact, can be run upright or on their side, and most are small enough to be concealed behind a rock or some plants. Fluval (Rolf C. Hagen) makes a small filter that seems to work fairly well for paludarium/vivarium type applications.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1