Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Ill?

troobloo87

Reaction score
ok guys,,,waters fine and i got sand but why does my axie keep getting a floaty butt...will be fine for a day or2,,,,get a floaty butt for a day then be ok,,,any ideas?

esn

Reaction score
The first photo and account.

Photos of Sick Axolotls

And a quick search for "floating butt" on the forums will give you countless threads of people with the same problem.

The axolotl is trying to pass something through his system. Fridge him if it's so severe that he can't swim down. Probably just having a hard time taking a dump.

troobloo87

Reaction score
yea read about fridging etc.but the problem comes and goes daily rather than having a floaty butt all the time...was wondering if these slightly different symptoms meant something else...thanks for your response

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Is it a floating rear, or is your axolotl just floating at the surface, just to float near the surface? Many axolotls like to hang out near the surface as the water has more oxygen there.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1