Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axolotl gills turned white, and now is very weak. Help would be appreciated.

Leigh25

Reaction score
Hello,

I've had my axolotl for 2 months, and I think he's about six months old. I had to move him yesterday because I had snails in my tank at home and I didn't want his intestines to get obstructed. He hadn't gone to the bathroom for a few days previous to moving him, but he did go last night.

The tank that I moved him to has been sitting for about 30 hours and has a running filter. However, after moving him, his gills turned white and he has become extremely lethargic. He won't eat now, although he ate this morning.

The pH of the tank is around 7.8 and there is no ammonia in the water.

I'm putting him in the fridge, but I was wondering if anyone has ever experienced this or knows how I can help him.

Thanks a bunch!

NeekaLovesYou

Reaction score
If the water quality's good and you've conditioned the water hes' probably just readjusting being moved to a different tank. Has he been quite active or not very active at all? If he's just been sitting around this could be the cause for the color loss in his gills - the lack of blood flow from not being active can make them appear dull. It's also not unusual for them not to eat when they've been moved. For example, I rehomed a juvenile and she hardly ate, if at all, for over a week. For now I'd keep an eye on him but keep us updated if his condition worsens.

Leigh25

Reaction score
I read it in a little manual. It was along with the information that pebbles shouldn't be used on the bottom of the tank.

Leigh25

Reaction score
Thanks! I've put him in the fridge and he seems to be less lethargic, but the gills are still white. I'll see how he looks tomorrow. Thanks for your help! I really appreciate it!

NeekaLovesYou

Reaction score
Thanks! I've put him in the fridge and he seems to be less lethargic, but the gills are still white. I'll see how he looks tomorrow. Thanks for your help! I really appreciate it!

Again, the white gills could be because he doesn't have a lot of room to move around in his container, plus he's cold! I wouldn't be too worried :happy:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1