Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Help

Reneh

Reaction score
I've had an axolotl now for a lil over a month, I was really badly prepared. I did not know about the hole them swollowing everything in site and I had regular aquarium gravel and the axolotl ate some. He or she had the gravel in its belly for weeks, then one day the were gone! I was really happy but a couple of days after (two days ago) I noticed a fuzzie cotton like patch on the hole right side of its mouth. I'm not sure what to do. I put him in the fridge at 6 deg cel. till I could regulate the tempature in the aquarium, I'm not sure what the best method is to lower the tempature. Also I really don't know what I should do about the fuzzie stuff. Its been in the fridge for two days and its gotten worse in just a day it doubled in size. Really worried about my lil buddy! Thank you for your help.

FireStar

Reaction score
Sounds like the fuzzy stuff might be fungus. There is a guide about salt baths on this site.
A photo would be helpful for positive identification.
Some of the more experienced axolotl keepers will be better at guiding and helping you than I.

Olivia97

Reaction score
Definitely need a photo here, what are your parameters eg. nitrite, nitrate, ammonia, pH and temp? What is the current setup?

NeekaLovesYou

Reaction score
It sounds like fungus but again, a photo would help on confirmation. Axolotls get fungus when they're overall health is affected by stress. Long term stress can be brought on by too high a temperature, a powerful water current from the filter or in this case, it may be a slight impaction due to the gravel. So don't go tearing up your tank thinking fungus breeds in the filter media, etc. :happy: Being as he's already in the fridge he may pass something but it's not always guaranteed. Fungus is usually easily treated with daily salt baths. A very simple guide: http://www.caudata.org/forum/f46-be...axolotl/72698-salt-bath-picture-tutorial.html

CJ1981

Reaction score
Some pictures and the water parameters would help as mentioned above although I agree it does sound like fungus. Have a good read of the stickys on salt baths and fridging so you are prepared if you need to do them - you should see them at the top of this forum.

Just out of interest what temperature is your tank? You say you are trying to regulate the temperature I am just wondering what the issue with the temperature is.

Reneh

Reaction score
I've tryed taking pictures but u wouldn't really be able to c it he's so small and there's not much "fuzz". He's in the fridge at 6deg cel. But the tank is 21 I ordered some reusable plastic icecubes to interchange and cool off the tank. I'm unable to find a tank cooler the is a resonable price. I've removed the rocks in the tank that I collected from a river figuring maybe the was the source of the sickness. Also I feed him quarted frozen bloodworm cubes and I noticed there was lots of uneaten bloodworm sitting at the bottom of the tank so I bought a toothless bottom feeder an inch long. I believe the axolotl ate him. So maybe the fish made him sick. I've never done a nitrite or nitrate test but the ph is at zero. I want to try the salt baths could I just use the salt you'd use for fish? Ill also read though this site some more for more clues. Thank you guys very much for your help!

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
21C isn't too warm. Don't put any chemical ice blocks into the tank without sealing them in ziploc bags first, at least. If they leak, your axolotl will probably die.

Instead of a fish, you should've bought a siphon to clean up the uneaten food. Fish can impale axolotls with their sharp spines, sometimes leading to their death.

With so much uneaten food laying around, your ammonia is probably through the roof. That's almost certainly the cause of your fungus. What type of test kit did you get?

Olivia97

Reaction score
EEK bottom feeders are horrible to axies! I'm just glad your axie ate it before it ate his skin off. I agree with the ammonia thing, are you doing water changes at all?

wandering

Reaction score
You do not have a pH of zero. pH 7 is neutral. You might have a pH somewhere between 6 (too acid) and 8 (too alkaline)

And the ammonia is the important issue. Sounds like your tank is not cycled. You would be poorly if you had to eat drink and breath your own wee and poop and gone off food all the time :eek:

There is plenty of advice on this site on cycling your tank. And you can check out my other posts to see how I am keeping mine OK while my tank is cycling (they are in temporary accommodation right now)

Hope you and your axie get sorted soon:)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Reneh

Reaction score
K so ur 100% right about the hole ph thing... just keepin u on ur toes lol... I have zero reading on my ammonia nh3/nh4 testing kit... I've had the kit for over a year (I have goldfish too) does it go bad cuz both of my tanks are always awesome at zero ppm/L. Also I bought a liquide fungus cure for fish with 0.4% acriflavine and 1.0% PVP. Is this ok for the axolotl? It says something about adding a "slim coat" on him which worries me. There was three different kinds of salts at the pet shop didn't know which one too get even after standing there reading for a half hour. Also will fridging him help? Cuz I feel bad for him in the fridge. Thank agaain for all your help I wouldn't want to be responsible for killin an endangered animal.

NeekaLovesYou

Reaction score
Test kits do expire and need to be replaced regularly. False readings can be given after expiry.

Reneh

Reaction score
So I successfully did my first salt bath! Thank very much for that excellent link!!!! I'm hoping everything is downhill from here. I also completly cleaned out the aquarium and when doing so I moved the piece of drift wood and out came the bottom feeder (chinese algea eater) ill be doing some research on the fish to see if he's safe for the axie if not ill put him in with my 4 goldfish, catfish and pelco. I thought the axolotl ate him this hole time lol. Thank youguys aagain for all your help I couldn't have done it without yous.

wandering

Reaction score
Test kits do expire and need to be replaced regularly. False readings can be given after expiry.

I bought a test kit for nitrate and got zero readings. After a lot of vigorous shaking (the bottles !), I did the tests again, shaking again for the stated time. Got more realistic readings then. Ooer, needed that water change on my catfish tank......

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Olivia97

Reaction score
So I successfully did my first salt bath! Thank very much for that excellent link!!!! I'm hoping everything is downhill from here. I also completly cleaned out the aquarium and when doing so I moved the piece of drift wood and out came the bottom feeder (chinese algea eater) ill be doing some research on the fish to see if he's safe for the axie if not ill put him in with my 4 goldfish, catfish and pelco. I thought the axolotl ate him this hole time lol. Thank youguys aagain for all your help I couldn't have done it without yous.

Plecos and catfish definitely do not mix. Just search it in here and you'll find some horror stories. They should only be kept with other axololts or nothing.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!