Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Questions Questions Questions

DC1967

Reaction score
Hello again. I have 4 Axolotls. Can anyone confirm for me that they are Golden Albino, Wild Type, Albino and Leucistic and also if I am right that the Golden and the leucistic are both males and the other two are females? I have been reading to the point where I have confused the heck out of myself ! I just know they are all individuals, with their own personalities - amazing creatures. I am getting to know their favourite foods and they are quite happy to tell me when to feed them!

The "wild type" one piglet, has really gold flecks all over him, not sure that the photo gives him justice.

I know piglet (wild type) named because he stands up against the side of the tank begging for food is an outgoing character. The same as Goldy, who is is just starting to do the same. The two white ones (who are yet to be named :mad:) are a lot quieter and reserved.

Looking forward to breeding with them in the future.

Attachments

• black eye white.jpg
    black eye white.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 165
  • IMG_1251.JPG
    IMG_1251.JPG
    53.1 KB · Views: 160
  • IMG_1255.JPG
    IMG_1255.JPG
    44.6 KB · Views: 160
  • IMG_1249.JPG
    IMG_1249.JPG
    17.1 KB · Views: 146

DC1967

Reaction score
Thanks Julia. I have read that article a hundred times and still confusing myself. Still not sure on the third one though isnt he gold albino? or is that the same, his eyes are very different to the fourth pictured one, will post a couple more pictures.

Attachments

• IMG_1266.JPG
    IMG_1266.JPG
    25.4 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_1263.JPG
    IMG_1263.JPG
    30.4 KB · Views: 129

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Your wildtype is very pretty.

Your pale albino may be melanoid. Does he have a shiny eye-ring?

DC1967

Reaction score
The gold one has a shiny eye ring, the white one doesnt.

Yes the wild type one is soo pretty - the spots on her back are really gold in colour:eek:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1