My New Fire Belly Newt is Lethargic

skakaiser

Reaction score
Country
United States
So I bought a Fire Belly newt about 5 days ago and I noticed a white spot on one of his legs. I figured it was just an abrasion as he was a small one being kept with larger newts at the store. Basically, he seems to prefer land all day and it's rare for me to see him swimming. The water seems pretty clean and I've done a few water changes, after which seems to be the main time I see him swimming. I've tested the water for ammonia, which was pretty much 0, the water temp varies from 68-72, and it's a planted tank. However, he hasn't eaten since I bought him. I've tried freeze dried blood worms, frozen brine shrimp, daphnia, and newt pellets. He just doesn't show much interest in moving, and I really hope he isn't sick. Does anyone have any thoughts on how to make him better? Attached are pictures of him.

Attachments

• IMG_0517.jpg
    IMG_0517.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 2,271
  • IMG_0525.jpg
    IMG_0525.jpg
    169.9 KB · Views: 566
This is pretty common with newly imported firebelly newts. Have a search through the forum for 'pet shop syndrome' or importation syndrome.

As for food, try offering something live and of appropriate size, like chopped earthworms, blackworms, or even frozen bloodworms.

Yeah.. tried some chopped up worms yesterday but he wouldn't eat them. Today I came home to find him dead in the aquarium. I'm kind of surprised it happened this way since I had a newt for several years growing up that we bought at PetSmart whereas this guy I bought from one of the nicest aquarium shops in the region. Kind of bummed but I don't know if there was much more I could've done.

That's a bummer. Probably not much you could've done though.

CFBs make good newts. If you would like to get another one, there are a few people on the forum who breed them.

Ok. These things are fast! In Argentina there's and fish multipurpose antibiotic called "Tripaflavina" . Which I had to use in the double concentration recommended and after only one day the sore stopped growing, and later it started closing.

These worked miracles on this types of newts which are mostly aquatic.
On newts which are mostly terrestrial that's a different matter: you'll have to move them to a dry environment (with a little recipient for the newt to get wet whenever it needs to) and apply a generous amount of silver sulfadiazine (very important it hasn't have lidocaine)

Please refer to this page within the site:
Caudata Culture Articles - Illness Part 1

Hope it wont happen in the future but if it does, now at least you'll know where to start :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back