Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Setting up a Newt tank with mopani wood

Thora

Reaction score
Hi there,

I have an empty 200l (3 foot) aquarium that I intend to adapt for a small group of fire belly newts (Cynops orientalis). I have done lots of research about how best to accommodate these lovely little creatures (and will carrying doing so).

The plan is to use a thin layer of pool filter sand as a substrate, with a large piece of mopani wood (previously soaked in a tropical aquarium but dried out now) and a exo terra turtle bank as islands. I plan to raise the wood up on large cobble stones so that I can get a depth of 6-10 inches of water and allow the newt to club onto the wood island and swim below it. The tank will be well-planted with Vallis and java fern (tied to the mopani wood until it roots). I am investigating different floating plants. I am familiar with duckweed and riccia fluitans but also considering frogbit.

I am familiar with filters, water testing and the nitrogen cycle from keeping freshwater aquaria.

My questions are:

1. Does anyone see any problems with my plan so far?

2. The wood is typical mopani wood, in that it has a very smooth, paler, lumpy topside and a more grooved, darker, slightly rougher underside. I know newts need smooth surfaces to climb out on to - is the underside of mopani wood typically smooth enough? Asthetically and in terms of building larger islands this darker/ridged side would be preferable to use but I will not use it if it poses a threat to the newts delicate skin.

Thanks for reading!

wargar

Reaction score
Sounds good,get as much water as possible in there as these hardly if ever come out as adults.
On a money saving side, instead of turtle docks have you thought of using cork bark?

Dave

Thora

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Dave.

I'll look into getting cork bark and make sure the water is as deep as possible. This might be a silly question, but if the cork bark floats around will the newts be able to climb onto it ok or do I need to wedge it into a corner? Should I grown java moss on the bark perhaps to help keep a damp environment?

wargar

Reaction score
Don't worry they can get out just fine if they want to on plain cork bark. As your plants grow in the tank they tend to naturally anchore the cork bark in place.

You can use jave moss' however the bark naturally soaks up water and stays moist.

Dave

Thora

Reaction score
That's really helpful - thanks for the advice. It's reassuring to talk to someone who has experience keeping these newts. :happy:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1