Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

My first axolotl, new aquaponics tank for it :)

Soil

Reaction score
Hi all! I'm new here as I just got my first axelotl to go with my new tank :) Its an unheated and shadowy tank with no water movement so I figured it would fit well in there!

I never had anything but fish before so Im pretty thrilled.

The substrate is fine white sand which I used to have in an earlier tank. Its not all clean and dandy, with the occasional gravel and MTS-shells, as well assome organic matter from the plants. It seems to be the over all view that there can be nothing exept sand in the tank, or the axie will die.. but seeing how they'r not self-extinct because of their natural habitat I figured it It would work..?

As for the tank its 45 cm wide, 38 cm deep and 20cm high. It has an aquaponics-rig built on top of the tank which cleans the water, fertilizes some plants and cools the water. I havent checked the temp yet but It should be around 19 C.

I also snuck a few zebra danios in there to make it a bit more interesting to view.

Atm I dont really see the axelotl alot, or at all, because it prefers to stay in the back of the tank and seem to sit still most of the time. This is what they do, right? ^^

heres a pic of the tank! If the little axie sticks its head out some day Ill try to take a pic of it as well

kePBZ5rmeOq9w16xSwowPIxcz.jpg

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Re: My first axelotl, new aquaponics tank for it :)

That's a nice looking tank! I'm inspired!

The occasional bit of gravel or shell shouldn't be a problem. You're right; they encounter that stuff in the wild.

wandering

Reaction score
Like the look of your set up. :thumbup: Quite fancy setting some houseplants up like that. Hmmmmm.....

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

iChris

Reaction score

what plants are you growing in there?

I've been growing peace lilies in my hood for a while now, and it does work wonders for water quality.

I've got some pothos i've been meaning to add but haven't got around to it.

Soil

Reaction score

Thanks! I found it quite fancy myself. Up to now Ive only had normal tanks. The plants arent really exploading into growth atm tho since they get almost no light.. need a fix :)

what plants are you growing in there?

I've been growing peace lilies in my hood for a while now, and it does work wonders for water quality.

I've got some pothos i've been meaning to add but haven't got around to it.

There's a fern, spider plant, peace lilly dwarf mondo grass and that strange one to the right

The axelotl has come out of hiding now as well, so I snapped some shots

PICT1668.jpg

PICT1672.jpg

PICT1677.jpg

PICT1678.jpg

chemgrl08

Reaction score
That tank is quite a beauty! I would love to have some type of aquaponics tank, but atm I just don't have the time to set it up. I'll look back to this thread when I start one!

Ckamm

Reaction score
My granddaughter has her first axolotl after having done lots of research. She and her mom are worried about putting anything in the tank for fear of harming "Lilly" and they don't want her to hide all the time. What would be the first things to add to the tank to help Lilly feel at home?

Attachments

• output_image1703776894856.jpg
    output_image1703776894856.jpg
    350.6 KB · Views: 27

melfly

Reaction score
My granddaughter has her first axolotl after having done lots of research. She and her mom are worried about putting anything in the tank for fear of harming "Lilly" and they don't want her to hide all the time. What would be the first things to add to the tank to help Lilly feel at home?
I use sand as a substrate and some fake plants and a massive plant pot. Also a piece of wood in there as well. You can try live plants but I have not had much success with live plants

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!