Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

What is this!!

frogman

Reaction score
Hey, so I saw this on only the melanoid male before and I removed all axolotls immediately and put them in a tub of cool clean declorinated water. The leucistic axolotl had lost almost All gill fluff. I cleaned and scrubbed down the aquarium, filled it back up and let it sit and filter through for a day or two. When I put them back in, the water was similar temp to the bucket and the golden albino axolotl looked fine. Then within a couple of hours it came back what is it and what should I do, he seems fine and it is only on the one. Here are the water test results.
GH-30
KH-40
PH-6.0
NO2-0
NO3-20

Please help!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 255

frogman

Reaction score
I don't have anything to test that, but when I shine a backlight into the aquarium it does not appear foggy, is that anything, and temp is 64 degrees Fahrenheit.

CJ1981

Reaction score
I would advise you get something to test the ammonia with, whilst tough little sods generally Axolotls' skin is rather sensitive to ammonia and high levels can cause skin irritation and even burns :(.

API master test kits are pretty good and available on Amazon.

I'm assuming you are referring to the white patches over the flanks?

Prettykitty

Reaction score
To me it looks like your axie may have a protozoan infection. normal treatments for this or any sort of white skin patches is with a tea bath (1 teabag/10 liters or 10 quarts water). hope this helps you :)

frogman

Reaction score
Ok so this is weird. When I put him back in the clean cool water tub, the white stuff started coming off whenever the slightest thing rubbed it off, what does that mean?

esn

Reaction score
Fungus falls off easily, usually. At least in my experience, some of the gill fungus is seen to come off after placing in cooler water, especially if it was influenced by high temperatures.

I'm sure it was just fungus. Keep her cold, I don't think you'll need to do salt baths unless it progresses. Salt baths are pretty harsh.

frogman

Reaction score
Should I fridge, I will be upgrading all three to a 40 gallon breeding sometime this month. It's going to be divided by plexie glass three ways and each section will have the following; it's own new filter, plastic plants, air stone, 12x18 bottom area, spray bar to disperse water flow, and possibly a real plant. The middle section will have my gold female and the outer sections will have the males. Depending on what colors I want to breed that season I will just lift one of the two dividers and the male and female will be united. Does this sound good. Water quality should stay nice and cool then.

CJ1981

Reaction score
I agree it does look rather like a fungus. It's up to you if you want to go down the fridging route but alternatively somewhere cool, dark and quiet will suffice provided you do regular water changes with de chlorinated water and are dilligent about removing uneaten food and any poop.

It should clear up but do be prepared for the fact that it can take a little while.

FX1C

Reaction score
Should I fridge, I will be upgrading all three to a 40 gallon breeding sometime this month. It's going to be divided by plexie glass three ways and each section will have the following; it's own new filter, plastic plants, air stone, 12x18 bottom area, spray bar to disperse water flow, and possibly a real plant. The middle section will have my gold female and the outer sections will have the males. Depending on what colors I want to breed that season I will just lift one of the two dividers and the male and female will be united. Does this sound good. Water quality should stay nice and cool then.

I would think that each separation would require its own filtration - without it I would wonder where the intake for filter is & even dispersion of filtered water. Also keeping the plexi glass high enough to stop them getting over would eliminate flow from one section to the next..

My solution would be get 3 tanks! :D

<3 >o_o< <3

frogman

Reaction score
Why is the dispersion of flow affected by the plexie glass?

Olivia97

Reaction score
I would think that each separation would require its own filtration - without it I would wonder where the intake for filter is & even dispersion of filtered water. Also keeping the plexi glass high enough to stop them getting over would eliminate flow from one section to the next..

My solution would be get 3 tanks! :D

<3 >o_o< <3

He posted in the last post, each section will have it's own filter.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
3 tanks is a simpler solution, particularly if you're going to have 3 filters anyway.

frogman

Reaction score
So if I want them to breed next year do I just move one into the other aquarium. Will they breed in a 10 gallon. They will be nice sand and plant habitats.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I think you should concern yourself with getting them healthy before you think about breeding.

frogman

Reaction score
Yes I know that. But once I got the adults up and running and healthy again in future years. Am still rearing those 150 larvae so no thoughts on breeding anytime soon. It was just a rhetorical question. Oh and I just got an ammonia test kit and got the results they are.

1.0 for ammonia.

Olivia97

Reaction score
You definitely want to get that ammonia down to 0. what has caused the ammonia spike? Do frequent water changes until the level is back down to 0.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!