Fire salamander help/advice!

x Lindsay x

Reaction score
Country
England
Hi, I already own marbled salamanders and toads and I have rehomed a fire salamander (S. s. terrestris i think) and I'm not experienced with fires and don't know what their normal behaviour is particularly since I'm used to my marbleds being fairly inactive and rarely see them. I've had this fire salamander a week now and she/he seemed to settle okay but the past couple of nights she/he has been very active and moves around a lot and is trying to climb up the sides.... at first I thought heat stress but the temperature is around 61F ... is this normal for her/him to be this active? I don't know how often the previous owner was feeding so perhaps its looking for food :S any ideas??

Just put a cricket in and she/he is lumbering after it. Probably just hungry, greedy bugger got fed yesterday lol

Hi,

my fiires are a lot more active than my marbled. As for climbing the sides, they don;t seem to do this.Maybe because yours is new to it;s home it is just explooring. Try to give it as much room as possible to roam around in. I also have leaf litter in their enclosure so they have to root around for their meal, They have different places they can hid and will wait in ambush with just their heads showing for food to pass,

I tend to feed mine on slower items than crickets, mostly slugs, earth worms and woodlice, with the occasional treat of a waxworm,

Dave

I observed that behavior when they didn't like the habitat I prepared. Usually having to do with too small land area and huge aquatic set.
I usually feed mine little earthworms which I place into the water. Mine rarely eat outside the water.

Thanks for the tips guys. Yeah I feed mine small/chopped earthworms as well. S/he seems to have settled in now, must have been exploring new surroundings since s/he had been fairly secretive the first few days and hadn't had a look about. If it was that the habitat is not quite right then hopefully when s/he moves into his/her larger terrarium s/he'll feel more comfortable :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back