Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Unexplained eft death

Risigan

Reaction score
I just found out that one of my efts died. I am just devastated by this. It was doing fine and I didn't expect this at all. About 3 days ago it stopped eating but I thought nothing of it, 3 days really isn't that long. Then I just looked at the tank and I saw it upside down in the dirt not moving. It has no external marks or anything like that. Any ideas? The other eft seems fine, but I am going to keep a close eye on it.

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you are talking about red efts (Noto. viridescens), they are notoriously hard to rear. This is, unfortuntely, a common experience.

deliriah

Reaction score
Yes they are hard to rear. I had surprise eggs from mine a few years back. Of the five that hatched and survived (a few others hatched but died as larvae) they all died off at the eft stage. :( Very discouraging after getting through the larval stage where they were so small.

Risigan

Reaction score
I have had trouble with small efts in the past, but this one was beginning to turn into an adult. Is it common for a large eft (beginning to become aquatic again) to mysteriously die. One thing I did notice is that the eft always seemed skinny, although it was eating the same amount of food as my other eft. I have only had it for a little over month, but I would have expected it to put on some weight.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1