Feeding methods

Asuka

Reaction score
Country
Spain
When feeding frozen foods, what methods do you use to dirty the water as less as possible??

So far I know that people use:

- Feeding jars
- Turkey baster/ bowl

if you know anymore of use any other method, please let me know :D

I put my cubes of frozen blood worm in a tea strainer over a bowl to defrost then use a turkey baster to rinse them with some aquarium water (again the worms in the strainer and hold it over a bowl or the sink). Then I suck them up in the turkey baster and squeeze them over my Axolotls head area.

You can feed using a pair of tweezers. They're much more nutritious than anything smaller

You can feed using a pair of tweezers. They're much more nutritious than anything smaller

I have, I tried while I had my bettas and was trying to establish a healthy food variety, I cannot be in the same room as earthworms and bloodworms even blackworms.

It's really painful and it took me days to recover, since then I do not approach any frozen-live worms.

I feed my bettas an occasional dried mosquito larvae and bloodworm, they still burn my eyes and respiratory system but it's more bearable. I still try sometimes with bloodworms for by betta and the axolotl but only when I feel willing to bare with it

What are you currently feeding your axolotls? You will not be able to feed adult axolotls daphnia/bbs etc. you could try a good quality pellet

I think baster/bowl and feeding jars are likely the easiest less messy methods.. I know even with a feeding jar some food still escapes but i just swing through with the net once they are done.

A good quality carnivore pellet is probably your best bet, Asuka.

As an aside, do you know what types of worms you're allergic to? Bloodworm sensitivities are not uncommon, but bloodworms aren't actually worms; they're midge larvae. I've never heard of anyone being allergic to earthworms.

A good quality carnivore pellet is probably your best bet, Asuka.

As an aside, do you know what types of worms you're allergic to? Bloodworm sensitivities are not uncommon, but bloodworms aren't actually worms; they're midge larvae. I've never heard of anyone being allergic to earthworms.

Yeah earthworms -- at least the ones they sell as bait in this fish store, I was told by the doctor that if the earthworms are wild caught, they can carry some kind of seed that they ingested or something they eat and carry, makes one allergic. Anyways, it's too far to go to the store anyways-- thanks for telling me about pellets XD I'll look for some online

What are you currently feeding your axolotls? You will not be able to feed adult axolotls daphnia/bbs etc. you could try a good quality pellet

mysis shrimp and very very occassionally blood worms.I'm looking for a good pellet online that they ship here.

Question of curiosity: Why would you get an animal whose main diet (and best diet) in captivity is comprised of worms if you're allergic to them (in that severity)?

Sounds like you could have your own worm farm, though, if it's based on a wild diet.

Question of curiosity: Why would you get an animal whose main diet (and best diet) in captivity is comprised of worms if you're allergic to them (in that severity)?

Sounds like you could have your own worm farm, though, if it's based on a wild diet.

It's not from lack of trying. I always investigate before buying an animal, by then I was only aware of my bloodworm allergies. I still feed my betta blood worms even though I am allergic to them, simply because I like pampering them-- but very occasionally.

I find it weird to get such a bad reaction from earthworms when I was little I used to pick them up and try to feed the birds XD I didn't even know I could be allergic to them. Or whatever they eat.

So no it's not for the sake of being a bad owner. Axolotls are curious creatures that I 've always liked I was one of those weird kids that loved to have weird animals on their top ten favorites XD, and though at first I wasn't going to own one (I was going to get a sorority of female bettas), seeing the lotl in a mere 2,5g with other kinds of fish in the store, being nipped at and such-- made me get it. I'm a sucker for rescues... though I know it's probably not a smart thing to do being new in all of this and all, thus I turn to the forums for help to make sure I am doing the best I can for it.

I know you guys mean well, but I do admit that I'm starting to think perhaps I should find a nice family to take him in :/ or her (I still do not know what it is-- its an IT XD) I already figured that there would be many recommendations and some things I may be doing wrong but well-- perhaps you are right and I'm not suited for this because of his diet...

anyways, I will look into the worm farm regardless.

It was just a question of curiosity. If you were dead set on having the animal, there are things you could do, based on the nature of the allergy. That's up to you. I understand liking and keeping an animal even if it's not necessarily great for your health. I am so severely allergic to cats that I wake up every morning with my eyes swollen shut. I just take heaps of allergy medicine to get me through the day. I'm also allergic to half the allergy medications out there, as well as certain household cleaners, dubia roaches, and other things.

Latex gloves and a sick mask? Home earthworm farm? Locating pellets in your area and shipping them in? Fish fillets? There are options.

It was just a question of curiosity. If you were dead set on having the animal, there are things you could do, based on the nature of the allergy. That's up to you. I understand liking and keeping an animal even if it's not necessarily great for your health. I am so severely allergic to cats that I wake up every morning with my eyes swollen shut. I just take heaps of allergy medicine to get me through the day. I'm also allergic to half the allergy medications out there, as well as certain household cleaners, dubia roaches, and other things.

Latex gloves and a sick mask? Home earthworm farm? Locating pellets in your area and shipping them in? Fish fillets? There are options.

I'm sorry I get discouraged easy-- especially when it comes down to my watery friends. I get paranoid when I do something wrong or could be doing something better. Especially since I'm new at this I don't want to do anything that may be bad for them long term.

Personally yes, I would love to have him or her with me. Even if that means that I am allergic to what he she likes.

I really didn't expect allergies, especially from animals that have no fur.

I will try everything you have recommended above.

I've never heard about fish fillets, mind telling me a bit about them?

The things that are recommended are by no means the absolute only way of doing things, just the preferred way. If I were you I'd look into the proper pellets first, then culturing your own worms, then other food options last. I'd say a pellet diet can be supplemented by other things, one of which would be white cloud minnows, but you should talk to members that feed pellet based diets before making that decision.

Some members happen to feed pieces of tilapia or trout. That's a personal choice in feeding that I shouldn't recommend to a beginner, and I think you'd have to talk to the members that do feed pieces of fish about it rather than me.

Personally, I feed nightcrawlers and my own bred white cloud minnows, so I am not qualified to tell you all about fish fillets and pellets in detail.

The things that are recommended are by no means the absolute only way of doing things, just the preferred way. If I were you I'd look into the proper pellets first, then culturing your own worms, then other food options last. I'd say a pellet diet can be supplemented by other things, one of which would be white cloud minnows, but you should talk to members that feed pellet based diets before making that decision.

Some members happen to feed pieces of tilapia or trout. That's a personal choice in feeding that I shouldn't recommend to a beginner, and I think you'd have to talk to the members that do feed pieces of fish about it rather than me.

Personally, I feed nightcrawlers and my own bred white cloud minnows, so I am not qualified to tell you all about fish fillets and pellets in detail.

oh no problem :) I like to try the recommendations first, then find out the best method on my own, i think that is how most people started out :D

You feed your lotl live minnows :D?

I have a friend that was in a similar situation, except allergic to dogs instead. She took allergy medication and toughed it out for several years, but the allergy suddenly took a turn for the worse and she then started to cough blood... The dogs had to be given to family unfortunately.

This sudden manifestation or increased severity of a reaction to an allergen is also not unheard of for feeder insects as well. People have developed allergies to meal worms out of the blue, for example, which only intensified over time.

Allergies are a serious issue, and worms are by no means a requirement to raising axolotls. Indiana University, for example, fed their axolotls a salmon pellet diet through several generations. Kentucky University also feeds adults salmon pellets solely. No worries- there is no need to risk one's health, and not using worms does not make you an inadequate caretaker! :)

There appear to be no reported cases of allergies caused by Lumbricus terrestris. Eisenia foetida apparently can cause allergic reactions, but not our native species. It´d be as easy as not buying E.foetida from a bait shop. Most Decathlon carry both E.foetida and L.terrestris.

There appear to be no reported cases of allergies caused by Lumbricus terrestris. Eisenia foetida apparently can cause allergic reactions, but not our native species. It´d be as easy as not buying E.foetida from a bait shop. Most Decathlon carry both E.foetida and L.terrestris.

I'll have to ask, but some other day, the bait shop is 3 hours away from my house and it takes me a whole day to go and come back Q_Q

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back