Fungus or regrowth?

Lanceoltl

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone, I have a question about my one of my axies. She has always had a short, stubby gill on the top left, and it looked like it had a split in it. Today I noticed it has gone white at the end and looks longer than usual. Does this look like fungus, or could it be regrowth?

She is eating fine and seems perfectly healthy otherwise. I've attached a picture, and any advice would be most welcome. Sorry for the extreme face close-up! :)

Attachments

• 2012-12-09 11.00.04.jpg
    2012-12-09 11.00.04.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 294
A picture of the tail & possible fungus would be much more helpful ;) although that is such a cute face :D please post a better pic showing the profile of the tail.

<3 >o_o< <3

Very cute axie!
Unfortunately, this does look like fungus.

A picture of the tail & possible fungus would be much more helpful ;) although that is such a cute face :D please post a better pic showing the profile of the tail.

<3 >o_o< <3

Bizarrely, I've just gone to take her out for a salt bath, and the 'fungus' appears to have disappeared completely. Surely it doesn't just drop off like that?

I've taken a couple extra pictures; one of her tail, and one of her gills again, which look completely normal (for her anyway).

Should I still do a salt bath?

Attachments

• 2012-12-09 15.33.43.jpg
    2012-12-09 15.33.43.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 232
  • 2012-12-09 15.32.31.jpg
    2012-12-09 15.32.31.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 190
How long had the suspected fungus been there before it fell off? It can fall off eventually but rarely at the drop of a hat. Are you certain it couldn't have been some tank debris? If uneaten food is left to rot in the tank it can gain an odd white, fluffy appearance. I'd wait to see if it comes back before giving her a salt bath.

Sometimes fungus does fall off on its own. If it does, you can hold off on salt baths to see if it comes back. If it doesn't, lucky you (and lucky axie!). If it does come back, you should do salt baths.

Sometimes fungus does fall off on its own. If it does, you can hold off on salt baths to see if it comes back. If it doesn't, lucky you (and lucky axie!). If it does come back, you should do salt baths.

Hey everyone,

Since I last posted, there is no sign of any fungus at all. We're keeping an eye on it and checking the water quality regularly and all seems well. Perhaps it was just tank debris after all...

Thanks for the advice anyway, I'm glad I didn't do the salt bath! :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back