Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

New babies and a second chance!

Annabee

Reaction score
After loosing my first set of babies to lack of experience, lack of education and most of all lack of common sense. I've decided to take advantage of these wonderful resources and ask for your help. Ok, so here it goes. At the moment i have 10 larvae that hatched in the last 24 hours. I keep them 2 per 8 ounce container. The temp stays around 68°. Im feeding them bbs. I set up a hatchey and have been successful using the method i found on this page. Im feeding every 12 hours along with water changes. (Full container changes) The containers will be cleaned with vinegar and water only. And the water will be treated with blue jucie (omg lesson learner). If i missed anything please let me know. This is just my start as they start to develop thier front legs i will post again, thanks:)

Dr0gr1n

Reaction score
Sounds fine, I would skip the vinegar though and only rinse their containers with hot water between feeds. That is all I use and have raised several hundred. Just keep the hot water away from the larvae.

The blue juice I have no idea what it is but assume it is a treatment for chlorine or chlorimine.

Aside from that I think it sounded ok.

Annabee

Reaction score
4 out of 10 of my larvae hatched looking like this. They are a little slower then the others and they dont eat even though it looks like they try. Are they preemie or disfigured?

Attachments

• 2012120995134002.jpg
    2012120995134002.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 190

Annabee

Reaction score
Ugh... didnt read right. Yes almost like the there is no arrow head. They have a ball like body with a tail. Also no visible organs other then an intestine line swiggle through the body.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1