Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

The New Guy

promdom

Reaction score
Hi there, my names Dan and i'm new to ths forum and amphibians in general. Ive owned reptiles for over 2 years now and im planning on getting an axolotl in the next day or two. I think there just awesome creatures and its cool you can keep them in a fish tank rather than a terrarium. ive bought a 20 gallon tall (24 L x 12 W x 16 H) and I plan on getting one leucistic axie from axolotls canada. Im probably gonna get a juvenile and feed it brine shrimp and blood worms until its big enough for trout worms. Once its big enough it will be switched over to night crawlers. the temperature in my tank is 64-68, and the tank is decorated with fake plants and two fake rock pieces on opposite sides for cover/hiding. Im also adding a background as well. im using a very fine fish gravel for substrate and im about to go to the hardware store to buy some sort of mesh to put under the light so its not so bright. I wanna be able to see the little guy but not scare him into hiding all the time. sorry for all the information I just wanna get some opinions from you guys on whether my setup is okay, feeding plans, lighting, etc. I just wanna make sure im doing things right. Ive attached pictures so you can see exactly what im talking about. im looking forward to talking with you and im glad to be a part of the forum. thanks! Dan

Attachments

• 011.jpg
    011.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 149
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 149
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    177.8 KB · Views: 135

xxianxx

Reaction score
If you are going to light the tank add some floating weeds, they will provide nice shaded areas for the axolotl and places for them to hold up, they often like hanging in weed.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!