Info and tips on flying/transporting axolotls?

Asuka

Reaction score
Country
Spain
As the title says. I've been doing my own research for a while, because this year or the next I am moving back to the u.s and I would love to take my Axolotl with me-- as a carry on I am aware to ask in the embassy and the airline first.

But in case that it cannot be a carry on, and considering the no liquid rule (more than X amount) and that they need water, I need to know any other ways of taking my lotl with me without customs and stuff ripping my box apart and then messing up the packaging. (It has happened to me when recieving a betta from a breeder, and the heat pack was tossed away and the betta died of cold.)

Axolotls are CITES 2 , you will need the correct paperwork to transport them over international borders.

Axolotls are CITES 2 , you will need the correct paperwork to transport them over international borders.

can you tell me where I can look that up?

It would be very expensive to get the CITES permit and clear the import to the U.S. through U.S. Fish and Wildlife. My guess would be in the neighbor hood of 300.00 or more for permit and inspection fees.

It would be very expensive to get the CITES permit and clear the import to the U.S. through U.S. Fish and Wildlife. My guess would be in the neighbor hood of 300.00 or more for permit and inspection fees.

Woah, it's kinda mind blowing... can anyone make a "for dummies" summary for me so I can understand where to go on the site to see permits and such @@, I think if we all work together we could perhaps make a guide for those who wish to bring with them their friends.

My current finding:

How to transport aquatic animals.

http://www.cites.org/eng/resources/transport/aph1.shtml

How do I know if I need a permit?

http://www.cites.org/eng/resources/faq.php#ap

ah and another question, could someone with a license already send them over to the states for me D:

From the looks of it though, I may have to give the lotl away when the time comes

Last edited:
Most airlines don't allow pets as carry-on, especially aquatics.

In addition to the import/export permits, depending on where you fly into, you'll need a port exception permit.

Most airlines don't allow pets as carry-on, especially aquatics.

In addition to the import/export permits, depending on where you fly into, you'll need a port exception permit.

But the thing is what I'm reading is that these permits are for people who do importation and distribution with economic facts in mind, however I'm trying to bring a pet from point A to B.

CITES-listed species database

I heard there was an airline that allowed someone take their goldfish somewhere, I just remain hopeful cause it would suck to say good bye.

It would be a difficult task that would take a huge amount of time and money to do. A pet exception might be possible but not for CITES, You should consider leaving your axolotl in Spain and getting another one in the U.S.

It would be a difficult task that would take a huge amount of time and money to do. A pet exception might be possible but not for CITES, You should consider leaving your axolotl in Spain and getting another one in the U.S.

I figured as much, ah well I shall enjoy my 2 years with him as best as I can. thanks anyways

globalanimaltransport.com

try these guys, my Auntie has used them in the past, not for Axolotls but they appear to deal with most critters including CITES

globalanimaltransport.com

try these guys, my Auntie has used them in the past, not for Axolotls but they appear to deal with most critters including CITES

thanks so much!!! I'll check it out

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back