Plastic Plant Pots as hides?

roguemako

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Would a plastic plant pot like this work as a hide for both terrestrial and aquatic setups, they don't seem to leech anything into the water. If no, can someone suggest some alternatives or other options. Thanks.

Attachments

• Picture 4.jpg
    Picture 4.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 690
I'd be wary of plastics. They can leech unseen chemicals (Bisphenol A, anyone?). If you're sure it's inert, or it's made for aquatic use, just be sure the edges are filed smooth.

Also, would plastic plants be alright if they contain no wires inside for aquatic setups?

Terra cotta pots work well and are very cheap

Plastics seem to be OK for short-term use, but I've mostly stopped using them due to concerns about chemicals they leach.

I agree with the suggestion for clay (plain orange terra cotta) pots. They are safe and have a nice porous texture that provides a good surface for growth of beneficial bacteria and algae. Plastic plants are OK, but I'd be very careful about ones that aren't made for aquariums.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back